Finding electric force between two particles

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Coloumb's equation to calculate the electric force between two particles with different electric charges separated by a distance of 2.5 m. The correct equation is F = k*q1*q2/r^2, where k = 9.0*10^9. The error in the solution attempt was using (2.5/2)^2 instead of 2.5^2 for r^2, resulting in an incorrect answer. The correct answer is obtained by plugging in the values for Q and -3Q, which is 2.07e11. The need for dividing by 2 and consideration of the signs is also addressed.
theskyisgreen

Homework Statement

Two particles with electric charges Q and −3Q are separated by a distance of 2.5 m.
If Q = 4.9 C, what is the electric force between the two particles?

Homework Equations

Coloumb's equation: F=k*q1*q2/r^2
k=9.0*10^9

The Attempt at a Solution

I just tried to plug in the variables into the above equation.
so I got F= (9e9)*(4.9)*(3*4.9)/((2.5/2)^2)
F= 4.15e11
Apparently, that is not the correct answer, but I don't know what I did wrong!
I also tried to divide that number by 2 to get F= 2.07e11 which was also not right.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
theskyisgreen said:
Coloumb's equation: F=k*q1*q2/r^2
k=9.0*10^9

The Attempt at a Solution

I just tried to plug in the variables into the above equation.
so I got F= (9e9)*(4.9)*(3*4.9)/((2.5/2)^2)
F= 4.15e11
Apparently, that is not the correct answer, but I don't know what I did wrong!
I also tried to divide that number by 2 to get F= 2.07e11 which was also not right.
What am I doing wrong?
If the separation between the charges is r = 2.5 m, then r^2 = 2.5^2, not (2.5/2)^2. I am not sure what all those divisions by 2 are meant to accomplish.

Why are you dividing the distance by 2? Consider your signs, too.

[edit: beaten by kuruman. not happy]

1. How is the electric force between two particles calculated?

The electric force between two particles is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges of the particles and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The formula for electric force is F = k*q1*q2/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

2. What is the unit of measurement for electric force?

The unit of measurement for electric force is Newtons (N), which is equivalent to kg*m/s^2. This is the same unit of measurement for all types of forces.

3. How does the distance between two particles affect the electric force between them?

The electric force between two particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force decreases. In other words, the closer the particles are to each other, the stronger the force between them will be.

4. Can the electric force between two particles be negative?

Yes, the electric force between two particles can be negative. This occurs when the two particles have opposite charges (one positive and one negative). In this case, the force is attractive, meaning the particles will be pulled towards each other. If the particles have the same charge, the force will be repulsive and will always be positive.

5. How does the presence of other particles affect the electric force between two particles?

The electric force between two particles can be affected by the presence of other particles. If there are other charged particles in the vicinity, they can either attract or repel the two particles, depending on their charges. This can change the overall force between the two particles, making it stronger or weaker.