Finding electric potential between two concentric spheres.

In summary, the problem involves finding the difference in electric potential between the center of a spherical shell with inner radius A and outer radius 3A, which has a uniform charge density of p0, and a point a distance 2A from the center. The correct answer is -(p0A2)/3ε0. To solve this, the electric field inside the shell can be found by applying Gauss' law, and then the electric potential can be calculated by integrating the electric field along the distance from 2A to A.
epicrux

Homework Statement

A spherical shell with inner radius A and outer radius 3A which has a uniform charge density, i.e charge per unit volume, p0. Find difference in electric potential between the center of the shell and a point a distance 2A from the center.

Homework Equations

The answer given is. -(p0A2)/3ε0

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely lost as to what I'm supposed to do here. I would think you'd find the potential at 2A and subtract it from that at the center. But how exactly do you do that?
I integrated the elctric field due to a charged sphere along 2A to A. So that makes:
∫E dr= ∫(ρr)/3ε0)dr=V
That makes:

[(ρr2)/6ε)] from 2A to A which does not equal the answer.
I think I'm stumped here. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Your expression for the electric field does not look correct. E for a uniformly charged shell is different than E for a uniformly charged solid sphere.

I was not aware of the difference. I'll look it up.

epicrux said:
I'll look it up.
Or, apply Gauss' law to find E inside the shell.

1. How is electric potential defined?

Electric potential is defined as the amount of work needed to move a unit positive charge from one point to another in an electric field.

2. What is the formula for the electric potential between two concentric spheres?

The formula for the electric potential between two concentric spheres is V = kQ(1/r1 - 1/r2), where V is the electric potential, k is a constant, Q is the charge on the inner sphere, and r1 and r2 are the radii of the inner and outer spheres, respectively.

3. Can the electric potential between two concentric spheres be negative?

Yes, the electric potential between two concentric spheres can be negative. This occurs when the charge on the inner sphere is negative and the charge on the outer sphere is positive.

4. How does the distance between the two spheres affect the electric potential?

The electric potential between two concentric spheres is inversely proportional to the distance between the spheres. This means that as the distance between the spheres increases, the electric potential decreases.

5. How does the charge on the inner sphere affect the electric potential?

The electric potential between two concentric spheres is directly proportional to the charge on the inner sphere. This means that as the charge on the inner sphere increases, the electric potential also increases.