1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding energy of a superposition of wavefunctions

1. May 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a particle in an infinite square well described initially by a wave that is a superposition of the ground and first excited states of the well

[itex]ψ(x,0) = C[ψ_{1}(x) + ψ_{2}(x)][/itex]

Show that the superposition is not a stationary state, but that the average energy in this state is the arithmetic mean [itex](E_{1} + E_{2})/2[/itex] of the ground and first excited state energies [itex]E_{1}[/itex] and [itex]E_{2}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

Time-independant Schroedinger equation (potential set to zero):

[itex]Eψ(x) = -\frac{\hbar^{2}∂^{2}}{2m∂x^{2}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Assuming that the well is from x=0 to x=L, my wavefunction is [itex]ψ(x) = \sqrt{\frac{1}{L}}(sin(\frac{\pi x}{L}) + sin(\frac{2\pi x}{L}))[/itex]

Then using the Schroedinger equation

[itex]-\frac{\hbar^{2}∂^{2}}{2m∂x^{2}}\sqrt{\frac{1}{L}}(sin(\frac{\pi x}{L}) + sin(\frac{2\pi x}{L}))=Eψ(x)[/itex]

[itex]=\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2m}\sqrt{\frac{1}{L}}\frac{\pi ^{2}}{L^{2}}(sin(\frac{\pi x}{L}) + 4sin(\frac{2\pi x}{L}))[/itex]

But now I'm stuck because of the 4 in front of [itex]4sin(\frac{2\pi x}{L})[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your wavefunction is a superposition of two states of different energies. So, your wavefunction does not have a definite energy and therefore will not itself be an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian (i.e., it's not a "stationary state"). So, your wavefunction will not satisfy the time-independent Schrodinger equation.

The average value of the energy for your wavefunction is the "expectation value" of the Hamiltonian for your wavefunction.

4. May 19, 2013 #3
    Ah, I see. I'll give that a try. Thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted