Finding equations for simple harmonic motion given a graph

In summary, the author discusses the problem of changing period due to different accelerations in an elevator, and how to find the tension and frequency. He uses a model where the equilibrium point is the maximum tension, and also discusses the case where the amplitude is not zero.
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
The picture shows a graph of amplitude (measured in degrees) vs time (measured in seconds) for a pendulum disturbed by different accelerations.
1) Draw the free body diagram of the pendulum in a situtation where this could happen.
2) Find the acceleration for the different periods.
3) When and in which period is the maximun and minimun tension?
4) Find ##\theta (t)## for the region of minimun period and for the following initial conditions: ##\theta _0 =10°##, ##v_o=0.1 rad/s##
Relevant Equations
##x(t)=A.sin(\omega .t)##
Well, this is a problem which makes you think more about concepts than numbers, so I want to see if I've done it correctly.

1) I draw a simple pendulum in an elevator, where you have weight, tension and a pseudo-force. In this situation the effective gravity may be changing due to different accelerations of the elevator so this makes the period change.

2) ##\theta (t)=A.sin(\omega . t)## so differentiating you'll get ##\ddot \theta (t)=-A \omega ^2 sin (\omega .t)##
In this case ##A=\frac{\pi}{180}## and ##\omega## can be easily found knowing the period, then the frequency and then ##\omega##. So you'll get three expressions which will be different just in ##\omega##. I didn't consider ##\phi## because the motion starts at 0

3) The maximun tension is always in the equilibrium point. Then if we think about the situation of the elevator, in this point ##T=mg+f*## where ##f*## is the pseudo-force due to the acceleration of the elevator. Then, if the gravity "is heavier" the period will be minimum, so the tension will be maximum when the period is the smallest.
On the other hand, the tension will be weaker when the pendulum is in the extreme point and when the gravity is "lighter", so when the period is the longest.
4) ##\theta (t) =A.cos(\omega .t + \phi)##. So you have to find ##A## and ##\phi##.
You use ##A=\sqrt{x_0 ^2 +\frac{\dot x_0^2}{\omega^2}}## and ##\phi=arctg(-\frac{\dot x_0}{\omega x_0})##.
So you get the values and replace them.

Attachments

• 20191010_002659.jpg
    20191010_002659.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 209
Physics news on Phys.org
##A=\frac{\pi}{180}##
Looks to me as if ##A=1## ?

BvU said:
Looks to me as if ##A=1## ?
Yes, but that's ##1°## and I used radians

You can confuse everybody by blacking out axis titles :smile: and using ##x()## and ##\theta()## to denote the same variable ...
Introducing ##\phi## out of the blue doesn't help readers either (don't bother, I know what you mean).

2) you sure the composer of the exercise wants ##\ddot\theta## and not the three effective g values ?

3)
Like Tony Stark said:
The maximum tension is always in the equilibrium point.
yes.
Then if we think about the situation of the elevator, in this point ##T=mg+f*##
You can write ##T = mg'## where ##g'## is the effective g value. But ##T## is that only if the amplitude is zero and the amplitude is not zero...
So: I don't think 3) is OK.

4) I really wish you wouldn't mix up ##x## and ##\theta## as well as ##v_0, ##\dot\theta_0## and ##\dot x_0## so much. But what I reverse-engineer looks OK.

1. What is simple harmonic motion (SHM)?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and is directed towards the equilibrium point.

2. How do you identify SHM from a graph?

SHM can be identified from a graph by looking for a sinusoidal shape, with a constant amplitude and a repeating pattern over time. The graph should also have a symmetric shape around the equilibrium point.

3. How do you find the equation for SHM given a graph?

To find the equation for SHM from a graph, you need to determine the amplitude, period, and phase shift of the motion. These values can be used to construct the equation y = A sin (ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase shift.

4. What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and uniform circular motion?

The main difference between simple harmonic motion and uniform circular motion is that SHM is a one-dimensional motion, while uniform circular motion is a two-dimensional motion. In SHM, the object oscillates back and forth along a single axis, while in uniform circular motion, the object moves in a circular path around a fixed point.

5. Can SHM occur in real-world situations?

Yes, SHM occurs in many real-world situations, such as the motion of a pendulum, a mass-spring system, or a vibrating guitar string. It is also observed in the motion of sound waves and electromagnetic waves.