1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding expression for mass with tension, gravity and point charges

1. Jan 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A small sphere carrying a charge of q with mass m is suspended from point A by a massless thread of length L, as shown in the figure. A second sphere carrying a charge of 2q with mass M is suspended from a fixed rod from point B. The distance between A and B is equal to d. At equilibrium the two spheres lie in the same horizontal plane and the thread makes an angle (theta) with the vertical.

a.) draw a free body diagram for the sphere suspended from point A.
    b.) find an expression for the mass m in terms of q, L, theta, d ,g (gravitation acceleration), and k( Coulumb constant)
    c. Find an espression for the tension T in the tread

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My free body diagram consits of three forces: Fg pointing directly down from the sphere, Fe pointing directly left from the sphere. The problem doresn't have any negative charges so i figured they would be repeling therefore pointing left away from 2q. and I have Ft on L pointing upwards.

I have no idea how to approach the expression for mass. I was thinking that all the forces acting on the system would equal 0, but I don't know how to incorporate that into anything.

For c I did some searching online. So now I know the vertical component of tension to be equal to Fg. Fx then, would be equal to Fg(tangent(theta)) So Ft = Fg(tan(theta)) + Fg?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Hi wildredhead, welcome to PF.
    In the equilibrium position, what is the distance between the two charged spheres?
    Once you know this distance, find the force of repulsion F on q.
    Equate this force with one component of T. Equate the other component of T with mg.

4. Jan 22, 2010 #3
    the distance between the spheres would be something like the Lsin(theta) + d. Right? I use this in the Fe calculation... Fe= kq2q/Lsin(theta) +d. So I then use that as my x component for my tension force. Then the expression for mass is just g/F =M? I totally should have taken physics 2 right after physics 1 and not wait a semester.

5. Jan 23, 2010 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

"kq2q/Lsin(theta) +d"
    This should be
    kq2q/(Lsin(theta) +d)^2
    Next T*sinθ = Fe
    T*cosθ = mg.
    Now solve for m and T. Mass M does not come into picture.

6. Jan 24, 2010 #5
    Hey guys I have a similar problem to solve. Im stuck on the second part. I got the first part of the equation which is kq2q/lsin(thta) +d. Would we equal that to MG since F=MG? and then solve for M

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook