1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding fault in proof [contains logical quantifiers]

1. Jan 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following incorrect theorem: [itex]∃x∈ℝ ∀y∈ℝ (xy^2 = y-x)[/itex]

[Translation (not part of the original problem statement): There is at least an [itex]x∈ℝ[/itex] such that, for every [itex]y∈ℝ[/itex], [itex](xy^2 = y-x)[/itex].]

What's wrong with the following proof?

Let [itex]x = y(y^2+1)[/itex], then
    [itex]y-x=y-y/(y^2+1)=y^3/(y^2+1)=y/(y^2+1) * y^2=xy^2[/itex]​

2. Relevant equations

[itex]1. (xy^2 = y-x)[/itex]

[itex]2. x = y(y^2+1)[/itex]

[itex]3. y-x=y-y/(y^2+1)=y^3/(y^2+1)=y/(y^2+1) * y^2=xy^2[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Since the first equation is to be proven and the third equation seem to be correct, i think that the problem lies in the second.
    I have transformed the theorem as follow:
    [itex][∃x∈ℝ ∀y∈ℝ (xy^2 = y-x)] = [∃x(x∈ℝ∧∀y(y∈ℝ→(xy^2=y-x))] [/itex]
    From this, i thought that since one of the things to prove is that there is at least an actual x that is true for all y, the substitution done in equation 2 is not correct (since x is substituted not with an actual value but a free variable).
    But i'm not sure if this is really the reason for why the proof is incorrect. Any help will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2015 #2

This is already wrong. x is a single number and can't depend on y

4. Jan 20, 2015 #3
    I see, thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted