chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
understanding of equations
I was going through this...

1693204391194.png

The steps are quite clear; although i do not know whether it is a general approach to let ##y=mx## in such kind of problems when the degree are the same...second degree, third degree and so on.

My approach to this problem was straightforward;

##y=\dfrac{8-2x^2}{3x}##

thus on substitution to first equation, we shall have,
##9x^4+96x^2-24x^4+64-32x^2+4x^4-117x^2=0##

##-11x^4-53x^2+64=0##

Let

##m=x^2##

then it follows that,

##11m^2+53m-64=0##

##m=1, ⇒ x=±1##

The values of ##y## would be found by substituting ##x=±1## into ##y=\dfrac{8-2x^2}{3x}##

cheers.

My interest is on the highlighted part.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As is clear from the working, ##m## is a variable, not a constant of proportionality. There was a thread yesterday where a similar approach caused this confusion. In general, as long as ##x \ne 0##, you can always set ##m = \frac y x##. Personally, I would use ##z = \frac y x##, and then it's clearer what's happening.

• Informative
Likes topsquark and chwala
chwala said:
My interest is on the highlighted part.
I don't see any highlighted part.

Mark44 said:
I don't see any highlighted part.
I assume it is the passage in lilac: "although i do not know whether it is a general approach to let in such kind of problems when the degree are the same...second degree, third degree and so on."

Likes chwala
haruspex said:
I assume it is the passage in lilac: "although i do not know whether it is a general approach to let in such kind of problems when the degree are the same...second degree, third degree and so on."
You're right. I thought he meant that something was highlighted in the image from the book. Also, that lilac doesn't really stand out very distinctly.

1. What is a simultaneous equation?

A simultaneous equation is a mathematical equation that contains two or more unknown variables and must be solved at the same time. This means that the values of all the variables must satisfy all the equations in the system.

2. What is the technique for solving simultaneous equations?

The technique for solving simultaneous equations is called the elimination method. It involves eliminating one variable by adding or subtracting equations and then solving for the remaining variable.

3. How do you know if a system of equations has a solution?

A system of equations has a solution if the equations intersect at one point. This means that the values of the variables satisfy all the equations in the system and can be solved using the elimination method or other techniques.

4. Can simultaneous equations have more than one solution?

Yes, simultaneous equations can have more than one solution. This occurs when the equations are dependent on each other, meaning that one equation can be derived from the other. In this case, there are infinite solutions that satisfy the system of equations.

5. What are the applications of solving simultaneous equations?

Solving simultaneous equations is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and business. It is used to model real-world situations and find solutions for unknown variables in systems of equations.