Finding focus, given two tangents

• MHB
  • Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Focus
In summary, the problem involves finding the focus of a parabola given that it touches the x-axis at (1,0) and the line y=x at (1,1). The attempt involves finding the equation of the parabola, using the property of light rays reflecting off the parabola to find the focus, and using the equation of the parabola to find the slope of the reflected line. The proper use of the given information leads to the equation (x-2y)^2 = 2x-1 and the focus at (3/5, 1/5). However, a second method using the interpretation of the equation of a parabola does not yield the correct answer.
Saitama
Problem:

Let focus of parabola is $S(x,y)$ which touches the x-axis and $y=x$ at $(1,0)$ and $(1,1)$ respectively, then find the focus of parabola.

Attempt:
Honestly, I am lost on this. I don't know how to make use of the given information to find the focus. I need a few hints to start with this problem. :(

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't know of an easy way to do this. I started by finding the equation of the parabola. The general parabola has equation of the form $$(ax+by)^2 = cx+dy+e.$$ Multiplying the equation through by a constant does not alter it, so we may as well assume that $a=1$: $$(x+by)^2 = cx+dy+e.$$ We know that the line $y=0$ touches the parabola where $x=1$. So if we put $y=0$ in the equation of the parabola it should reduce to $(x-1)^2=0$. Similarly, the line $y=x$ touches the parabola where $x=1$. So if we put $y=x$ in the equation of the parabola it should again reduce to (x-1)^2=0$. That gives you enough information to deduce the equation of the parabola.
[sp]$(x-2y)^2 = 2x-1$.[/sp]
To find the focus, I used the property that light rays coming from infinity, reflected in the parabola, converge at the focus. From the equation of the parabola, you should see that these light rays will come from infinity along a line with gradient $1/2$. So the ray meeting the parabola at the point $(1,0)$ will bounce off the horizontal tangent there along a line with slope $-1/2$. Therefore the focus must lie on the line $y = -\frac12(x-1)$. The calculation at the other point of tangency is more complicated because the tangent there has slope $1$. So you need to do some work to find the slope of the reflected line. Once you have done that, it is easy to find the focus as the point where the two reflected lines meet.
[sp]The other reflected line has equation $y=2x-1$. The focus is at $\bigl(\frac35,\frac15\bigr)$.[/sp]

Hi Opalg! :)

I appreciate the time you spent to solve this problem and explain the steps but I am stuck at the beginning statements. (Doh)

Opalg said:
So if we put $y=0$ in the equation of the parabola it should reduce to $(x-1)^2=0$.

If I put y=0, I get $x^2=e$. :confused:

I am guessing that I have to make use of the point of contact $(1,0)$ and get the equation $(x-1)^2=0$ but I don't see how. I am honestly lost. :(

Thank you!

Sorry, I am away from home and only have a phone connection for the next three weeks. Maybe someone else can help you.

Pranav said:
If I put y=0, I get $x^2=e$. :confused:

I am guessing that I have to make use of the point of contact $(1,0)$ and get the equation $(x-1)^2=0$ but I don't see how. I am honestly lost.

I did something similar.
Fill in the 2 points into the equation.
Take the derivative of the equation and fill in those 2 points again.
Combine those 4 equations and you should be able to deduce all coefficients.

I like Serena said:
I did something similar.
Fill in the 2 points into the equation.
Take the derivative of the equation and fill in those 2 points again.
Combine those 4 equations and you should be able to deduce all coefficients.

Hi ILS! :)

I tried the following:

$$(x+by)^2=cx+dy+e\,\,\,\, (*)$$
and differentiating
$$2(x+by)(1+by')=c+dy'\,\,\,\, (**)$$

Substituting $y=0$ and $x=1$ in $(*)$, I get $\fbox{c+e=1}$. Substituting $y=1$ and $x=1$ in the same equation, I get $(1+b)^2=c+d+e=d+1\,\,\,\, (***)$.

With $x=1,y=0$ and $y'=0$ in $(**)$, I get $\fbox{c=2}$. Hence $\fbox{e=-1}$.
Similarly, using $y=1,x=1$ and $y'=1$, I have, $2(1+b)^2=c+d$. From $(***)$, $d+2=2(d+1) \Rightarrow \fbox{d=0}$. Hence, $\fbox{b=-2 or 0}$.

I have got all the coefficients but I am unsure about which value to pick for $b$. Using $b=0$ gives an equation with no $y$ so I think I have to use the $b=2$. I then get the equation shown by Opalg i.e $(x-2y)^2=2x-1$.

I cannot understand why do I need to find the other reflected line? Won't the focus be simply the intersection of $2y=x$ (axis of parabola) and one of the reflected lines Opalg found? :confused:

I do understand what I am suggesting is incorrect because finding the intersection gives an incorrect answer but I don't see why it is wrong to do so. :confused:

Thanks!

Axis is not $2y=x $ but the parallel line $2y=x-\frac15$.

The parabola's axis of symmetry does not pass through the origin. I see Opalg has already informed you of this. :D

Here is an outline of a rotation of axes method:

Knowing the slope of this axis is \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\), we may rotate the axes appropriately:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}X-\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}Y\)

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}X+\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}Y\)

And then the parabola becomes:

\(\displaystyle 5Y^2=\frac{4}{\sqrt{5}}X-\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}Y-1\)

Arranged in vertex form, this is:

\(\displaystyle X=\frac{5\sqrt{5}}{4}\left(Y+\frac{1}{5\sqrt{5}} \right)^2+\frac{6}{5\sqrt{5}}\)

From this we obtain the focus:

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{7}{5\sqrt{5}},-\frac{1}{5\sqrt{5}} \right)\)

Mapping these coordinates back into the original coordinate system, we find the focus at:

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{3}{5},\frac{1}{5} \right)\)

MarkFL said:
The parabola's axis of symmetry does not pass through the origin. I see Opalg has already informed you of this. :D

Here is an outline of a rotation of axes method:

Knowing the slope of this axis is \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\), we may rotate the axes appropriately:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}X-\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}Y\)

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}X+\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}Y\)

And then the parabola becomes:

\(\displaystyle 5Y^2=\frac{4}{\sqrt{5}}X-\frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}Y-1\)

Arranged in vertex form, this is:

\(\displaystyle X=\frac{5\sqrt{5}}{4}\left(Y+\frac{1}{5\sqrt{5}} \right)^2+\frac{6}{5\sqrt{5}}\)

From this we obtain the focus:

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{7}{5\sqrt{5}},-\frac{1}{5\sqrt{5}} \right)\)

Mapping these coordinates back into the original coordinate system, we find the focus at:

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{3}{5},\frac{1}{5} \right)\)

Opalg said:
Axis is not $2y=x $ but the parallel line $2y=x-\frac15$.

I was digging through my notes and I found something. My teacher taught a second way to interpret an equation of parabola which is as follows:

$$(\text{Perpendicular distance from axis})^2=(\text{Length of latus rectum})\times (\text{Perpendicular distance from tangent at vertex})$$

And then we did a problem on finding the axis of a weird parabola. I apply the same method my teacher taught for that problem.

Rewrite the equation as
$$(x-2y+\lambda)^2=2x-1+\lambda^2+2x\lambda-2y\lambda$$
$$\Rightarrow (x-2y+\lambda)^2=2x(\lambda+1)-2\lambda y+\lambda^2-1$$

The left side of the equation represents the square of axis and the right side, the tangent at vertex. (I am not sure why this is so as its been a long time I did this kind of problem, can someone please clarify this? Thanks! )

The product of slopes must be -1 and using that I get, $\lambda=-1/3$. But I should get $\lambda=-1/5$ , I don't get why this method doesn't work. (Sweating)

Pranav said:
I was digging through my notes and I found something. My teacher taught a second way to interpret an equation of parabola which is as follows:

$$(\text{Perpendicular distance from axis})^2=(\text{Length of latus rectum})\times (\text{Perpendicular distance from tangent at vertex})$$

And then we did a problem on finding the axis of a weird parabola. I apply the same method my teacher taught for that problem.

Rewrite the equation as
$$\Rightarrow (x-2y+\lambda)^2=2x(\lambda+1)-2\lambda y+\lambda^2-1$$

The left side of the equation represents the square of axis and the right side, the tangent at vertex. (I am not sure why this is so as its been a long time I did this kind of problem, can someone please clarify this? Thanks! )

The product of slopes must be -1 and using that I get, $\lambda=-1/3$. But I should get $\lambda=-1/5$ , I don't get why this method doesn't work. (Sweating)
The general form of a parabola can be expressed as:
$$y^2 = 4ax$$
where $a$ is the distance of the focus point to the vertex, which is also the distance of the vertex to the directrix. Furthermore, the semi-latus rectum has length $\ell = 2a$.
See figure.

Conic_section_-_standard_forms_of_a_parabola.png

We can rewrite this with:
\begin{array}{}
y &=& \text{Perpendicular distance to axis of symmetry} \\
x &=& \text{Perpendicular distance to tangent at vertex} \\
\ell = 2a &=& \text{Length of semi-latus rectum}
\end{array}
as
\begin{array}{}
(\text{Perpendicular distance to axis of symmetry})^2 = 2 &\times& \text{Length of semi-latus rectum} \\
&\times& \text{Perpendicular distance to tangent at vertex}
\end{array}

Now let's rotate the parabola by an angle $\phi$ and translate it by $(p,q)$.
And let's define $c = \cos \phi, \ s = \sin \phi$.
Then the equation becomes:
$$(cX - sY - q)^2 = 4a (sX + cY - p)$$

As you can see, this is a close match to your equation.
If you can bring the equation in this form, you can read off all relevant parameters immediately.

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
The general form of a parabola can be expressed as:
$$y^2 = 4ax$$
where $a$ is the distance of the focus point to the vertex, which is also the distance of the vertex to the directrix. Furthermore, the latus rectum has length $\ell = 2a$.
See figure.

Conic_section_-_standard_forms_of_a_parabola.png

We can rewrite this with:
\begin{array}{}
y &=& \text{Perpendicular distance to axis of symmetry} \\
x &=& \text{Perpendicular distance to tangent at vertex} \\
\ell = 2a &=& \text{Length of latus rectum}
\end{array}
as
\begin{array}{}
(\text{Perpendicular distance to axis of symmetry})^2 = 2 &\times& \text{Length of latus rectum} \\
&\times& \text{Perpendicular distance to tangent at vertex}
\end{array}

Length of latus rectum is $4a$. :)

Latus Rectum -- from Wolfram MathWorld

I found the error in my working. I wrote:

...but it should have been this:

$$\begin{array} {}
(x-2y+\lambda)^2=2x-1+\lambda^2+2x\lambda-4y\lambda \\
\Rightarrow (x-2y+\lambda)^2=2x(\lambda+1)-4\lambda y+\lambda^2-1\\
\end{array}$$
Equating the product of slopes to -1, I have
$$\frac{1}{2}\frac{2(\lambda+1)}{4\lambda}=-1 \Rightarrow \lambda=-\frac{1}{5}$$
Substituting this value of $\lambda$, I get
$$(x-2y-1/5)^2=\frac{4}{5}(2x+y-6)$$
Writing in terms of perpendicular distances, I have:
$$\left(\frac{x-2y-1/5}{\sqrt{5}}\right)^2=\frac{4}{5\sqrt{5}}\left( \frac{2x+y-6}{\sqrt{5}} \right)$$
Hence, the axis of parabola is $x-2y-1/5=0$ and therefore, the focus is $(3/5,1/5)$.

Thanks a lot Opalg and ILS! :)

I have learned quite a lot from this thread. Thanks again! :D

Pranav said:
Length of latus rectum is $4a$. :)

Latus Rectum -- from Wolfram MathWorld

Oh! :eek:
I always thought $\ell$ was the latus rectum.
It's only now that I'm learning that $\ell$ is actually the semi-latus rectum.

1. How do you find the focus given two tangents?

To find the focus given two tangents, you can use the formula F = (t1 + t2)/2, where t1 and t2 are the two tangents. This formula works for both parabolas and ellipses.

2. Can you explain the concept of focus in geometry?

In geometry, the focus is a point that lies on the axis of symmetry of a conic section, such as a parabola or ellipse. It is the point where all the rays of light from the parabola or ellipse converge or appear to diverge from.

3. Why is finding the focus important in mathematics?

Finding the focus is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the shape and properties of conic sections, such as parabolas and ellipses. It also allows us to accurately graph these curves and solve various problems involving them.

4. Are there any other methods for finding the focus besides using tangents?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the focus of a conic section. One method is to use the distance formula to find the distance between the center of the conic section and a point on the curve, and then use this distance to find the focus. Another method is to use the directrix and focus relationship, where the distance from a point on the curve to the focus is equal to the distance from that point to the directrix.

5. How can I use the focus to solve real-world problems?

The focus of a conic section can be used to solve various real-world problems, such as determining the path of a satellite orbiting the Earth or finding the optimum shape for a satellite dish. It can also be used in optics to understand the behavior of light rays and in engineering to design parabolic reflectors for antennas and telescopes.