Finding fundamental equation of the ideal VanWaals in Hemoltz

• Thread starter Kidphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fundamental
In summary, the conversation discusses the fundamental equation of an ideal Van de Waals fluid in both the Helmholtz and enthalpy representations. The potential for enthalpy is found by establishing a reference state in the ideal gas region and integrating with respect to temperature and pressure. The same process can be applied to the Helmholtz free energy, using a different Maxwell relationship. This method allows for the prediction of enthalpy and enthalpy changes for any arbitrary temperature and pressure, even outside of the ideal gas region, without the need for physical measurements or PVT data.
Kidphysics

Homework Statement

fundamental equation of the ideal Van de Waals fluid in the Helmholtz and
enthalpy representation.

Homework Equations

H(s,p)= U-TS (1)

dh=-Sdt-PdV (2)

KT=pv+a'/v-b'p-a'b'/v^2 (3)

The Attempt at a Solution

First I thought to use (2) dh=-Sdt-PdV and took the differential dt of (3) where t(p,v) and then I thought to take the total differential dv where v(p,t) and plug into dh and integrate to get H.. this has gotten very messy very quickly and I was wondering if there is a smarter/better way to move forward

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the case of enthalpy, I provided a derivation of the relevant relationship in the link:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4269223#post4269223

See the very last response that I posted. What you do is establish a reference state in the ideal gas region (low pressure), at T0 and P0. You set the enthalpy equal to zero at that reference state. To get the enthalpy at another state, you first integrate with respect to temperature at constant pressure from T0 to T. In this integral, Cp is a function only of temperature (recall, ideal gas). The next step is to integrate with respect to pressure at constant temperature T, from T, P0 to T, P. This is how you can calculate the enthaply relative to the reference state if you know the heat capacity in the ideal gas region and the (non-ideal) PVT behavior of the material (from an equation of state).

Chestermiller said:
For the case of enthalpy, I provided a derivation of the relevant relationship in the link:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4269223#post4269223

See the very last response that I posted. What you do is establish a reference state in the ideal gas region (low pressure), at T0 and P0. You set the enthalpy equal to zero at that reference state. To get the enthalpy at another state, you first integrate with respect to temperature at constant pressure from T0 to T. In this integral, Cp is a function only of temperature (recall, ideal gas). The next step is to integrate with respect to pressure at constant temperature T, from T, P0 to T, P. This is how you can calculate the enthaply relative to the reference state if you know the heat capacity in the ideal gas region and the (non-ideal) PVT behavior of the material (from an equation of state).

Hmm I see you have written

dH=CP+(V−T(∂V∂T)P)dP

but to find Cp you must find ∂H∂T also.. and if I wish to find dp I will need to take a total differential and I will have dp's and dt's instead. Also any ideas with relation to my hemholtz approach?

Kidphysics said:
Hmm I see you have written

dH=CP+(V−T(∂V∂T)P)dP

but to find Cp you must find ∂H∂T also.. and if I wish to find dp I will need to take a total differential and I will have dp's and dt's instead. Also any ideas with relation to my hemholtz approach?

No. You can measure Cp for the ideal gas region in a separate experiment (once-and-for-all) and then use the results to make predictions of the enthalpy change for any temperature change in the ideal gas region. And, if you have already fit PVT data for a specific gas to the Van Der Waals Equation, you can use the relationship I gave to determine the change in enthalpy at constant temperature from a pressure in the ideal gas region to a pressure beyond the ideal gas region. The net result is that, knowing Cp vs T for a gas and the PVT equation for the gas, you can predict in advance the enthalpy for any arbitrary temperature and pressure, and you can predict the enthalpy change between any two equilibrium states, even outside the ideal gas region.

Integrate the pressure term in my equation (from zero pressure to arbitrary pressure) at constant T for a gas that satisfies the Van Der Waals equation.

Yes. I have ideas on how to derive the corresponding relation to the helmholtz free energy. But I already showed you how to do it for the enthalpy. Just do the same kind of thing for the helmholtz free energy. Of course, you will need to identify a different Maxwell relationship to use.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
No. You can measure Cp for the ideal gas region in a separate experiment (once-and-for-all) and then use the results to make predictions of the enthalpy change for any temperature change in the ideal gas region. And, if you have already fit PVT data for a specific gas to the Van Der Waals Equation, you can use the relationship I gave to determine the change in enthalpy at constant temperature from a pressure in the ideal gas region to a pressure beyond the ideal gas region. The net result is that, knowing Cp vs T for a gas and the PVT equation for the gas, you can predict in advance the enthalpy for any arbitrary temperature and pressure, and you can predict the enthalpy change between any two equilibrium states, even outside the ideal gas region.

Integrate the pressure term in my equation (from zero pressure to arbitrary pressure) at constant T for a gas that satisfies the Van Der Waals equation.

Yes. I have ideas on how to derive the corresponding relation to the helmholtz free energy. But I already showed you how to do it for the enthalpy. Just do the same kind of thing for the helmholtz free energy. Of course, you will need to identify a different Maxwell relationship to use.

Chet

Thank you for the response. I'm not completely sure if we are on the same page, as I am not trying to model a current experiment- I don't have any means to measure Cp physically and I do not have fit PVT data. I do understand how knowing the thermodynamic potential H is useful for further conversions to A.

The thing is, this should be a really simple problem but my math isn't all there..

Kidphysics said:
Thank you for the response. I'm not completely sure if we are on the same page, as I am not trying to model a current experiment- I don't have any means to measure Cp physically and I do not have fit PVT data. I do understand how knowing the thermodynamic potential H is useful for further conversions to A.

Where do you think the tables of the thermodynamic potential H as a function of temperature and pressure for a particular gas come from? To generate such a table, they experimentally determine how Cp varies as a function of temperature at low pressures, and they do PVT experiments to fit the Van der Waals (or other EOS) equation parameters. They then use the equation I gave to fill in the entire table. All your teacher is asking is for you to derive the final equation that I gave and then integrate the first term with respect to temperature at constant pressure in the ideal gas region, and the second term with respect to pressure at constant temperature between very low pressure and arbitrary pressure (for the specific case of a gas that is approximated by the Van der Waals equation).

Chestermiller said:
Where do you think the tables of the thermodynamic potential H as a function of temperature and pressure for a particular gas come from? To generate such a table, they experimentally determine how Cp varies as a function of temperature at low pressures, and they do PVT experiments to fit the Van der Waals (or other EOS) equation parameters. They then use the equation I gave to fill in the entire table. All your teacher is asking is for you to derive the final equation that I gave and then integrate the first term with respect to temperature at constant pressure in the ideal gas region, and the second term with respect to pressure at constant temperature between very low pressure and arbitrary pressure (for the specific case of a gas that is approximated by the Van der Waals equation).

I see. Your write up was very good and I plan on using it I just need to convert my EOS which is a function of T,p, and V:

KT=pv+a'/v-b'p-a'b'/v^2

into something with just two independent variables (t,p) possibly (?). I don't think I can solve for V here, and taking some derivative wrt V won't rid me of it either. I know I must brake it down into two variables and try to find derivative relationships as you did

I need to get a thermodynamic potential out of it I believe

Kidphysics said:
I see. Your write up was very good and I plan on using it I just need to convert my EOS which is a function of T,p, and V:

KT=pv+a'/v-b'p-a'b'/v^2

into something with just two independent variables (t,p) possibly (?). I don't think I can solve for V here, and taking some derivative wrt V won't rid me of it either. I know I must brake it down into two variables and try to find derivative relationships as you did

For the integrand of the second integral, you need to first evaluate the partial derivative of v with respect to T at constant p. This is the reciprocal of the partial derivative of T with respect to v at constant p. I think you can easily use the above equation to determine that.

You next multiply the partial derivative of v with respect to T at constant p by the temperature T, and subtract this term from v. This gives you the integrand in terms of p, v, and T. What does this integrand look like (i.e., what is it)? You will have to do some clever mathematics to manipulate this integral into an analytically integrable form.

Chestermiller said:
For the integrand of the second integral, you need to first evaluate the partial derivative of v with respect to T at constant p. This is the reciprocal of the partial derivative of T with respect to v at constant p. I think you can easily use the above equation to determine that.

You next multiply the partial derivative of v with respect to T at constant p by the temperature T, and subtract this term from v. This gives you the integrand in terms of p, v, and T. What does this integrand look like (i.e., what is it)? You will have to do some clever mathematics to manipulate this integral into an analytically integrable form.

I see. I guess I was just supposed to use your result this entire time, not use it like a template. I have to start reading Callen my teacher did me a diservice. Thanks for the help CM.

1. What is the ideal Van der Waals equation in Hemholtz?

The ideal Van der Waals equation in Hemholtz is a thermodynamic equation that describes the behavior of a gas at low pressures and high temperatures. It takes into account the intermolecular forces and the volume occupied by the gas molecules.

2. How is the ideal Van der Waals equation derived?

The ideal Van der Waals equation is derived by modifying the ideal gas law, which assumes that gas molecules have no volume and do not interact with each other. The Van der Waals equation adds correction terms for the volume and intermolecular forces, making it more accurate for real gases.

3. What are the assumptions made in the ideal Van der Waals equation?

The ideal Van der Waals equation makes the following assumptions:

• The gas molecules are point masses with no size or volume.
  • The intermolecular forces between gas molecules are attractive and can be modeled using the Van der Waals force.
  • The gas molecules are in constant motion and do not interact with each other.

4. How is the ideal Van der Waals equation used in practice?

The ideal Van der Waals equation is used to calculate the thermodynamic properties of real gases, such as pressure, volume, and temperature. It is particularly useful for studying the behavior of gases at low pressures and high temperatures, where the ideal gas law is no longer accurate.

5. What are the limitations of the ideal Van der Waals equation?

While the ideal Van der Waals equation is more accurate than the ideal gas law, it still has some limitations. It does not account for the compressibility of gases at high pressures and low temperatures, and it does not take into account the shape and size of gas molecules. Additionally, it may not accurately predict the behavior of gases with strong intermolecular forces or at extreme conditions.