Why don't we include VdP in U equation ?

In summary, this equation states that the change in internal energy of a substance is equal to the sum of the changes in pressure, volume and entropy.
Joseph95

Homework Statement

I was trying to obtain Tds=dh-Vdp by differentiating the internal energy equation U=Q-PV and doing some arrangements but at the end I couldn't achieve my goal.The part that I don't understand is when we differentiate H=U+PV we obtain dH=dU + PdV + VdP and then from there we can derive Entropy equation which is TdS=dH-VdP.But when we differentiate U=Q-PV we get dU=dQ-PdV instead of dU=dQ-PdV-VdP.Why do we neglect VdP in internal energy equation?I know the internal pressure is negligible in Ideal gases but so why don't we neglect it in enthalpy equation?

Homework Equations

U=Q-PV
H=U+PV

The Attempt at a Solution

U=Q-PV
differentiating
dU=dQ-PdV-VdP
dU+PdV=dQ-VdP (dU+PdV=dH) (dQ=TdS)
dH=TdS-VdP
TdS=dH+VdP but the right equation is:TdS=dH-VdP

Physics news on Phys.org
Joseph95 said:

Homework Statement

I was trying to obtain Tds=dh-Vdp by differentiating the internal energy equation U=Q-PV and doing some arrangements but at the end I couldn't achieve my goal.The part that I don't understand is when we differentiate H=U+PV we obtain dH=dU + PdV + VdP and then from there we can derive Entropy equation which is TdS=dH-VdP.But when we differentiate U=Q-PV we get dU=dQ-PdV instead of dU=dQ-PdV-VdP.Why do we neglect VdP in internal energy equation?I know the internal pressure is negligible in Ideal gases but so why don't we neglect it in enthalpy equation?

Homework Equations

U=Q-PV
H=U+PV

The Attempt at a Solution

U=Q-PV
differentiating
dU=dQ-PdV-VdP
dU+PdV=dQ-VdP (dU+PdV=dH) (dQ=TdS)
dH=TdS-VdP
TdS=dH+VdP but the right equation is:TdS=dH-VdP
Please provide a reference that gives the equation U = Q - PV. Where did you dream this up from?

Chestermiller said:
Please provide a reference that gives the equation U = Q - PV. Where did you dream this up from?

We couldn't calculate the internal energy of a substance directly and we define it as change of state so we differentiate equation U=Q-PV and obtain dU=dQ-PdV and then integrating it as a result we get ΔU=ΔQ-PΔV.

Joseph95 said:
We couldn't calculate the internal energy of a substance directly and we define it as change of state so we differentiate equation U=Q-PV and obtain dU=dQ-PdV and then integrating it as a result we get ΔU=ΔQ-PΔV.
I still don't see any reference (just a lot of hand waving). The equations you wrote are incorrect.

The correct equations should be ##\Delta U=Q-W##, where ##W=\int{P_{ext}dV}##, and, for a differential change between two closely neighboring thermodynamic equilibrium states, ##dU = TdS-PdV##

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I still don't see any reference (just a lot of hand waving). The equations you wrote are incorrect.

The correct equations should be ##\Delta U=Q-W##, where ##W=\int{P_{ext}dV}##, and, for a differential change between two closely neighboring thermodynamic equilibrium states, ##dU = TdS-PdV##

Chet

Okay it is my fault Sir ! Sorry for that.Besides this could we obtain ΔH=ΔU+PΔV+VΔP by differentiating equation H=U+PV ?

Joseph95 said:
Okay it is my fault Sir ! Sorry for that.Besides this could we obtain ΔH=ΔU+PΔV+VΔP by differentiating equation H=U+PV ?
If we differentiate H=U+PV, we obtain dH = dU + PdV + VdP. If we substitute dU = TdS - PdV into this equation, we obtain: $$dH=TdS+VdP$$ or equivalently, $$TdS=dH-VdP$$ This is the equation you started with.

If you write H = U + PV, then, mathematically, with finite ##\Delta##'s, $$\Delta H=\Delta U+V\Delta P+P\Delta V+\Delta P \Delta V$$Note the last term in this equation (which is required with finite deltas).

Chet

I'd like to elaborate a little to what I said in the previous post. If the two equilibrium states of the system are widely separated in terms of the pressures and the volumes, then we can write that:
$$\Delta (PV)=P_fV_f-P_iV_i$$
where the subscript i refers to the initial state and the subscript f refers to the final state. If we write that ##P_f=P_i+\Delta P## and ##V_f=V_i+\Delta V##, then we find algebraically that $$\Delta (PV)=P_i\Delta V +V_i\Delta P+ (\Delta P)(\Delta V)$$
If we write that ##\bar{P}=(P_i+P_f)/2## and ##\bar{V}=(V_i+V_f)/2##, then we find algebraically that:$$\Delta (PV)=\bar{P}\Delta V+\bar{V}\Delta P$$

Likes Joseph95
Chestermiller said:
I'd like to elaborate a little to what I said in the previous post. If the two equilibrium states of the system are widely separated in terms of the pressures and the volumes, then we can write that:
$$\Delta (PV)=P_fV_f-P_iV_i$$
where the subscript i refers to the initial state and the subscript f refers to the final state. If we write that ##P_f=P_i+\Delta P## and ##V_f=V_i+\Delta V##, then we find algebraically that $$\Delta (PV)=P_i\Delta V +V_i\Delta P+ (\Delta P)(\Delta V)$$
If we write that ##\bar{P}=(P_i+P_f)/2## and ##\bar{V}=(V_i+V_f)/2##, then we find algebraically that:$$\Delta (PV)=\bar{P}\Delta V+\bar{V}\Delta P$$

Thank you very much for your information and elaboration Sir.

1. Why is VdP not included in the U equation in scientific calculations?

VdP, or Vander Waals forces, are weak intermolecular forces that are often negligible in comparison to other forces such as electrostatic interactions. Therefore, they are not typically included in the U equation as they do not significantly contribute to the overall energy of a system.

2. Can VdP be ignored in all scientific calculations?

No, VdP forces can still play a role in certain systems and should not be completely disregarded. However, they are often not considered in simple calculations or models due to their relatively small contribution to the overall energy.

3. Are there any exceptions where VdP should be included in the U equation?

Yes, in systems with small molecules or at very low temperatures, VdP forces can become more significant and should be included in the U equation. Additionally, in systems with highly polarizable molecules, VdP forces can also play a more significant role.

4. What impact does including VdP in the U equation have on the overall results?

In most cases, including VdP forces in the U equation will have a minimal impact on the overall results. However, in some cases, it can improve the accuracy of the calculations, particularly in systems with small molecules or high polarizability.

5. Can VdP be included in the U equation if other forces are already accounted for?

Yes, VdP forces can be included in the U equation even if other forces are already accounted for. However, it is important to consider the relative magnitude of each force and determine if including VdP will significantly impact the results or if it is negligible in comparison.