Finding height in uniformly accelerated motion

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the time and distance traveled by two objects falling from different heights with different initial velocities. The equations ##\Delta t=2(\frac{v}{a})## and ##\Delta x=\frac{v}{2a}## were used, but the latter was found to be incorrect due to a missing square. The conversation then concluded by suggesting the use of the simpler equation ##h = 0.5at^2## to solve the problem.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
An object is thrown vertically upwards from ground level with an initial velocity of 40 ms–1.
2.0 seconds later another object is released from a height above the ground and falls vertically
from rest.
Both of the objects hit the ground at the same time.
From what height above the ground was the second object released?
Relevant Equations
##v=v_{0}+at##
##\Delta x=\frac{v^2-v_{0}}{2a}##
First of all I have found the time taken by the first object to hit the ground back: ##\Delta t=2(\frac{v}{a})##.
Then, by subtracting 2 seconds to this quantity, I get the time in which the second object has accelerated in free fall, with terminal velocity ##v=at##.
Now, I find the distance traveled by the second object: ##\Delta x=\frac{v}{2a}##... but the result I get is wrong!

Physics news on Phys.org
What value of height your result has?
Could you show us your work?

Likes greg_rack
greg_rack said:
Homework Statement:: An object is thrown vertically upwards from ground level with an initial velocity of 40 ms–1.
2.0 seconds later another object is released from a height above the ground and falls vertically
from rest.
Both of the objects hit the ground at the same time.
From what height above the ground was the second object released?
Relevant Equations:: ##v=v_{0}+at##
##\Delta x=\frac{v^2-v_{0}}{2a}##

First of all I have found the time taken by the first object to hit the ground back: ##\Delta t=2(\frac{v}{a})##.
Then, by subtracting 2 seconds to this quantity, I get the time in which the second object has accelerated in free fall, with terminal velocity ##v=at##.
Now, I find the distance traveled by the second object: ##\Delta x=\frac{v}{2a}##... but the result I get is wrong!
"First of all I have found the time taken by the first object to hit the ground back: ##\Delta t=2(\frac{v}{a})##".Ok
"Then, by subtracting 2 seconds to this quantity, I get the time in which the second object has accelerated in free fall, with terminal velocity ##v=at##. ?" Terminal velocity? Where is the air resistance to you talk about it?
"Now, I find the distance traveled by the second object: ##\Delta x=\frac{v}{2a}##... but the result I get is wrong!" This equation is wrong, you forget one square

Why don't you try to use the simple ##h = 0.5at^2##? You don't need to know more than the time

Likes greg_rack
LCSphysicist said:
"First of all I have found the time taken by the first object to hit the ground back: ##\Delta t=2(\frac{v}{a})##".Ok
"Then, by subtracting 2 seconds to this quantity, I get the time in which the second object has accelerated in free fall, with terminal velocity ##v=at##. ?" Terminal velocity? Where is the air resistance to you talk about it?
"Now, I find the distance traveled by the second object: ##\Delta x=\frac{v}{2a}##... but the result I get is wrong!" This equation is wrong, you forget one square
And that's exactly the square which was missing... Now it works! Thank youu

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is uniformly accelerated motion?

Uniformly accelerated motion is a type of motion in which an object moves with a constant acceleration. This means that the object's velocity changes by the same amount in each unit of time.

2. How is height calculated in uniformly accelerated motion?

The height in uniformly accelerated motion can be calculated using the equation h = h0 + v0t + (1/2)at^2, where h0 is the initial height, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration.

3. Can the height be negative in uniformly accelerated motion?

Yes, the height can be negative in uniformly accelerated motion. This indicates that the object is moving downwards or in the opposite direction of the positive direction.

4. How does the acceleration affect the height in uniformly accelerated motion?

The acceleration affects the height in uniformly accelerated motion by changing the object's velocity, which in turn affects the object's position. The greater the acceleration, the faster the object will change its position and the higher it will go.

5. What is the difference between height and displacement in uniformly accelerated motion?

Height refers to the vertical distance from the ground to the object's position, while displacement refers to the shortest distance between the object's initial and final positions. In uniformly accelerated motion, the displacement will be equal to the height only if the object starts and ends at the same height.