Finding how high up object travels

• Thread starter dman_PL
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a block of inertia being launched up a rough incline by a spring. The angle of incline, coefficient of kinetic friction, and spring constant are given, as well as the distance the spring has been compressed. The objective is to find how far the block travels up the incline before stopping. To solve this problem, it is suggested to set up a similar problem with numbers and solve for the height using the potential energy equation. However, it should be noted that as the mass moves up the slope, there is some energy lost due to friction. Therefore, the distance traveled along the slope will be greater than the height gained.
dman_PL

Homework Statement

A block of inertia m is launched up a rough incline by a spring,
as shown in the figure. The coeffiecient of kinetic friction is µk.
The angle of incline is θ, and the spring is parallel to the surface
of the incline. The spring constant is k, and the spring has been
compressed a distance d from its relaxed position. How far up the
incline, from the point of release, does the block travel before it
stops?

Homework Equations

Im thinking of using the potential energy equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Since its asking how far up, i would assume that we need to separate h in the potential energy equation, but this question really threw me off. How am I supposed to start with no numbers really?

Physics news on Phys.org
dman_PL said:

Homework Statement

A block of inertia m is launched up a rough incline by a spring,
as shown in the figure. The coeffiecient of kinetic friction is µk.
The angle of incline is θ, and the spring is parallel to the surface
of the incline. The spring constant is k, and the spring has been
compressed a distance d from its relaxed position. How far up the
incline, from the point of release, does the block travel before it
stops?

Homework Equations

Im thinking of using the potential energy equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Since its asking how far up, i would assume that we need to separate h in the potential energy equation, but this question really threw me off. How am I supposed to start with no numbers really?

One way to solve the problem is to set up your own, similar, problem with numbers and solve that, then have a careful look at how you used each value, and replace then with the algebra here.

As an overview: in the beginning there is energy stored in the spring.
Upon release, that will convert to kinetic energy as well as a small amount of gravitational Potential Energy [as the spring expands the mass moves slightly higher up the slope] as well as a little bit of mechanical energy being lost [converted mainly to heat] as the mass moves against friction as the spring expands.
Once the mass leaves the spring, the kinetic energy will be converted to even more Potential energy, with some more mechanical energy lost in overcoming friction as it moves.
This second "conversion phase" means you never actually have to calculate the kinetic energy value.

It kind of makes sense. When you talk about kinetic energy, I had someone of a similar problem in which it asked to find how high this object jumped, and I think to calculate the answer I used h=-Δk/mg. Is this what I should sort of end up getting as well?

dman_PL said:
It kind of makes sense. When you talk about kinetic energy, I had someone of a similar problem in which it asked to find how high this object jumped, and I think to calculate the answer I used h=-Δk/mg. Is this what I should sort of end up getting as well?

You do use that but have to allow for the energy lost through friction as the mass moves up the slope. The distance it moves along the slope is far greater than the height gained since this is a slope, not a vertical displacement.

Alright! ill just keep looking into it, thanks :)

1. How do you calculate the height an object travels?

To calculate the height an object travels, you will need to know the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and the time of flight. You can use the formula: height = (initial velocity * sin(angle))^2 / 2 * gravitational acceleration * time^2.

2. What is the gravitational acceleration?

The gravitational acceleration is a constant value that represents the acceleration due to gravity on Earth. It is typically denoted as "g" and has a value of 9.8 m/s^2.

3. How does air resistance affect the height an object travels?

Air resistance can decrease the height an object travels by slowing it down. This is because air resistance creates a force that acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, reducing its speed and therefore its height.

4. How can you measure the height an object travels without advanced equipment?

If you do not have advanced equipment, you can use a simple tool like a measuring tape or ruler to measure the distance the object traveled. You can also use landmarks or objects of known height to estimate the height the object reached.

5. Can the height an object travels be affected by external factors?

Yes, the height an object travels can be affected by external factors such as air resistance, wind, and the angle of launch. These factors can impact the object's speed and trajectory, resulting in a different height than expected.