1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding how weight placed on a ruler affects its oscillation.

1. Feb 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm currently having a bit of trouble figuring out how to most effectively execute my experiment. It's somewhat practical; I need to find how the masses placed on the end of a vibrating ruler will affect its oscillation.

I know that the ruler is a standard 12 inch (30.5 cm) ruler, with 20 centimeters hanging off the edge of a desk, and that I have several weights for my use (weights range from 5g-50g)

2. Relevant equations

I have no idea.

3. The attempt at a solution

My idea was to simply tape the weights to the end of the ruler using lightweight scotch tape, and bending the ruler down approximately 1-2 inches from its equilibrium position, and timing how long it takes for the ruler to reach its equilibrium position at 4 or 5 different weights. Is this the most accurate way to determine how weights affects time of oscillation?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2010 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I suspect the motion will go like this Wikipedia graph for damped harmonic motion: 200px-Step_response_for_two-pole_feedback_amplifier.PNG
    The measurement you suggest would be the time for the oscillations to die out.

I think it would be more interesting to measure the frequency or period of the oscillations within the overall exponential decay damping curve (dashed line). Unfortunately I can't think of an easy way to measure those. Have you got a digital camera with a video mode - if so, you may be able to video it along with a stopwatch and then watch in slow motion to see the period or count the number of oscillations in a measured time.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook