Finding initial velocity of a baseball hit 180 m with peak height 21.3 m

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
batcave1985
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
home run that was estimated to have
landed 180 metres from the home plate and to have reached a
height of 21.3 metres. Calculate the initial velocity of the
ball.

u^2=v^2-2as

t=?
u=?
v=0
s=180
a=g= -9.8

u^2= √0^2-2x-9.8x180
u= 59.9 m/s


am I using the right equation for this problem. I am not sure if I have to find the angle using the height and the range of the ball to help find the initial velocity. just want to know if this is the right direction with this problem
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What are u and v? What is s? And why do you not use the maximum height? Does the ball move horizontally? If so, is g the horizontal acceleration? Does not accelerate Earth the objects vertically?

ehild