1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding initial velocity of a cat jumping through a hoop

1. Sep 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Kit the cat is going to jump through a hoop. He begins on a wicker cabinet at a height of 1.745 m above the floor and jumps through the center of a vertical hoop, reaching a peak height 3.115 m above the floor.

With what initial velocity did Kit leave the cabinet if the hoop is at a horizontal distance of 1.567 m from the cabinet? (Express your answer in vector form)

2. Relevant equations
    X (or Y) = vit + 1/2at2
    Vf2 = Vi2 + 2a(x2-x1)
    And possibly quadratic equation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was able to calculate the initial velocity of the y direction using Vf2 = Vi2 + 2a(x2-x1) (I know because the cat reaches peak height at 0, the vertical velocity at that time was 0).From there, I tried to solve for t. I know once I get t, I can find the initial velocity of x, but I came to an error in what I believe is my t. I tried plugging into Y = vit + 1/2at2 and made it into the quadratic formula, but got two positive answers 0.54739930925614 s and 0.51076395604999 s. Then I tried the Vf = Vi + at and got .529 s.
    What can I do to find time, correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your final method works fine. t = 0.529 s looks good.

Your other method would have worked, too if you had included the initial height. That is, the more complete version of the kinematic equation you used is:

##y(t) = y_o + v_o t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2##

Note the ##y_o## term representing the initial offset ("launch height" in this case).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted