Finding initial velocity of a projectile

The initial speed of the football can be found by breaking down the initial velocity into its horizontal (x) and vertical (y) components, using the angle and the known distance travelled. From there, you can use the equations V0X=V0cos60 and V0Y=V0sin60 to find the initial speed in both directions. It looks like you are on the right track. Good luck!In summary, to find the initial speed of the football kicked at an angle of 60 degrees and travelling a distance "R" before hitting the ground, one can break down the initial velocity into its horizontal and vertical components using the given angle and distance. The equations V0X=V0cos60 and V0Y
cresta123

Homework Statement

A football is kicked at an angle of 60 degrees to the horizontal and travels a distance "R" before hitting the ground

A.) find the initial speed of the football

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

: [/B]
I would presume I would need to find initial velocity of X and Y separately and then find the magnitude the V the formulas should be V0X=V0cos60 and V0Y=V0sin60
and I need to find V0 of both x and y I just want to know if I'm on the right track I'm quite new to physics

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Your approach sounds reasonable.

What is initial velocity of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile is the speed and direction at which it is launched or thrown. It is the velocity at the very beginning of its motion, before any external forces act upon it.

How do you find the initial velocity of a projectile?

To find the initial velocity of a projectile, you need to know the distance traveled, the time it took to travel that distance, and the acceleration due to gravity. You can then use the equation v = d/t to calculate the initial velocity.

What is the formula for finding initial velocity of a projectile?

The formula for finding initial velocity of a projectile is v = d/t, where v is the initial velocity, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time it took to travel that distance.

What units are used to measure initial velocity of a projectile?

The units used to measure initial velocity of a projectile are meters per second (m/s) in the International System of Units (SI) or feet per second (ft/s) in the United States Customary System (USCS).

What factors can affect the initial velocity of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile can be affected by factors such as the angle of launch, the mass and shape of the projectile, the force of air resistance, and external forces such as wind or thrust.