1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding μ and σ from a normal cumulative distribution function

1. Aug 2, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The relationship between the expected value and the variance for a particular normal CDF is known to follow the rule ##E(X)=arcsin(ln(Var(X)))##. Given that ##Pr(0.32<Z<2.32)=Pr(12.9<X<74.275)##, determine the possible values of the mean and the standard deviation correct to 4 decimal places.

2. Relevant equations
    ##Z=\frac {X-μ} {σ}##
    ##Var(X)=σ^2##

3. The attempt at a solution
    When expressed in the form ##normCDf(lower limit, upper limit, σ, μ)##, ##Pr(0.32<Z<2.32)=Pr(12.9<X<74.275)## becomes ##normCDf(0.32, 2.32, 1, 0)=normCDf(12.9, 74.275, σ, μ)##. After also taking into account ##E(X)=arcsin(ln(Var(X)))## and ##Var(X)=σ^2##, we get ##normCDf(0.32, 2.32, 1, 0)=normCDf(12.9, 74.275, σ, arcsin(ln(σ^2)))##. I attempted to solve this last equation on my calculator, but my calculator simply will not output a numerical answer. I'm not sure what to do from here, can anyone help?

Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I put all this into a spreadsheet, using the unknown mean as the variable, and played around with it until the probabilities matched to several significant figures. Only took a few minutes.

4. Aug 2, 2016 #3
    I'm not familiar with how to use spreadsheets with probabilities. I doubt I am expected to do that though because we've never used spreadsheets in class.

5. Aug 2, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ok.
    If you plug in trial values for mu and compute Pr(12.9<X<74.275) for each on your calculator, it's the same, just a bit slower.
    It will be a lot faster if you can pick a good starting point. A promising guess here would be to consider the X points 12.9 and 74.275 as being a direct mapping (by shifting the mean and scaling by variance) of the Z points 0.32 and 2.32. Indeed, it gives mu to within a couple of percent.

6. Aug 2, 2016 #5
    Ah thank you that helps a lot. I also just worked out if you rearrange ##μ=arcsin(ln(σ^2))## for σ, then you get ##σ=e^\frac {sin(μ)} {2}##. Then when I solve ##normCDf(0.32,2.32,1,0)=normCDf(12.9,74.275,e^\frac {sin(μ)} {2},μ## my calculator actually gives me the values for μ; 12.555 and 74.510.

Anyway, thanks for your help :)

7. Aug 3, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The reason your calculator couldn't handle the arcsin form is that the arcsin function is defined only to return values in the range (−π/2, π/2]. mu here is outside that range. Switching to the sin form solved that.

8. Aug 3, 2016 #7
    Okay that's good to know. I'll remember that for the future. Thanks again for your help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted