1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal distribution percentage problem.

1. Apr 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A company pays its employees an average wage of $3.25 an hour with a standard deviation of sixty cents. If the wages are approximately normally distributed, determine
    the minimum wage of the employees who are paid the highest 5%.

2. Relevant equations
    z=(x-μ)/σ

3. The attempt at a solution
    I did:
    .95=((x-3.25)/.6) which equals .57=x-3.25
    therefore x=3.82. I feel like I didn't do this correctly and I can't finish the rest of my homework if I don't know what I'm doing. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2012 #2
    Isn't that equation for standardizing your values? 95% has nothing to do with z-scores.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  4. Apr 11, 2012 #3
    Oh, shoot, you're right. Well how would I find out what 95% of the wages cause I don't have the slightest clue.

5. Apr 11, 2012 #4
    Your z-value is +-σ from the mean. What is 95% in terms of σ on a normal distribution? Also, do you use calculators to help you in your class? If you do, this question should be quite straightforward.

6. Apr 11, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If z_95 is the 95th percentile of the standard normal (which is available in tables or on some calculators) you need [tex] z_{95} = \frac{x-3.25}{0.6}.[/tex] Note: you should divide by 0.6 not 6, since 0.6 is the standard deviation in dollars.

RGV

7. Apr 11, 2012 #6
    No, my teacher wants us only using this table she gave us.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook