1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the exact value of a summation.

1. Feb 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The sum we are given is Σ(from x=0->∞) [(x^2)(2^x)]/x!. We are asked to find the exact value of this sum using concepts discussed in class which include poisson random variables, and their expected values.

3. The attempt at a solution

So i know the solution to the infinite sum is divergent. I know this since:

e^2 * Σ(from x=0->∞) (x^2) * Σ(from x=0->∞) (2^x)(e^-2)/x! = e^-2 * Σ(from x=0->∞) (x^2) since Σ(from x=0->∞) (2^x)(e^-2)/x! = 1 from poisson distribution. And we know Σ(from x=0->∞) (x^2) is divergent from simple infinite series. So the sum itself is ∞/or diverges.

But I don't know if theres a better way to solve this using only properties of the poisson distributions and their expected values/variances instead of invoking results from infinite series.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The sum is not divergent. A ratio test will tell you that. I don't know how to sum it exactly, but it is convergent.

4. Feb 8, 2015 #3
    oh I think I noticed my error of breaking the sum up since its a property of finite sums only.

5. Feb 8, 2015 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: If that sum had an ##e^{-2}## factor, what expected value of what distribution would it be calculating?

6. Feb 9, 2015 #5
    Yeah I kinda understand that what I'm uncertain about is how does Σ(from x=0->∞) (x^2)(2^x)(e^-2)/x! = 6. The x^2 confuses me ?

7. Feb 9, 2015 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you would answer my question it might help you.

8. Feb 15, 2015 #7

lurflurf

Homework Helper

use homogeneous differentiation for these types of exercises

$$\sum_{x=0}^\infty \dfrac{x^22^x}{x!}=\left. \left(r\dfrac{\mathrm{d}\phantom{r}}{\mathrm{d}r}\right)^2\sum_{x=0}^\infty \dfrac{r^x}{x!}\right|_{r=2}$$

or use
    $$\sum_{x=0}^\infty \dfrac{r^x}{x!}
    =\sum_{x=0}^\infty x\dfrac{r^{x-1}}{x!}
    =\sum_{x=0}^\infty x(x-1)\dfrac{r^{x-2}}{x!}=e^x$$

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted