Finding the exact value of a summation.

In summary, the given sum is Σ(from x=0->∞) [(x^2)(2^x)]/x!, and we are asked to find its exact value using concepts of poisson random variables and expected values. After attempting the solution, it is concluded that the sum is convergent, not divergent, and has a value of 6. This can be found by using the property of finite sums and homogeneous differentiation or by rewriting the sum as Σ(from x=0->∞) x^2(x-1)(r^(x-2))/x!, which is equal to e^x.
NATURE.M

Homework Statement

The sum we are given is Σ(from x=0->∞) [(x^2)(2^x)]/x!. We are asked to find the exact value of this sum using concepts discussed in class which include poisson random variables, and their expected values.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So i know the solution to the infinite sum is divergent. I know this since:

e^2 * Σ(from x=0->∞) (x^2) * Σ(from x=0->∞) (2^x)(e^-2)/x! = e^-2 * Σ(from x=0->∞) (x^2) since Σ(from x=0->∞) (2^x)(e^-2)/x! = 1 from poisson distribution. And we know Σ(from x=0->∞) (x^2) is divergent from simple infinite series. So the sum itself is ∞/or diverges.

But I don't know if there's a better way to solve this using only properties of the poisson distributions and their expected values/variances instead of invoking results from infinite series.

Physics news on Phys.org
NATURE.M said:

Homework Statement

The sum we are given is Σ(from x=0->∞) [(x^2)(2^x)]/x!. We are asked to find the exact value of this sum using concepts discussed in class which include poisson random variables, and their expected values.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So i know the solution to the infinite sum is divergent. I know this since:

e^2 * Σ(from x=0->∞) (x^2) * Σ(from x=0->∞) (2^x)(e^-2)/x! = e^-2 * Σ(from x=0->∞) (x^2) since Σ(from x=0->∞) (2^x)(e^-2)/x! = 1 from poisson distribution. And we know Σ(from x=0->∞) (x^2) is divergent from simple infinite series. So the sum itself is ∞/or diverges.

But I don't know if there's a better way to solve this using only properties of the poisson distributions and their expected values/variances instead of invoking results from infinite series.

The sum is not divergent. A ratio test will tell you that. I don't know how to sum it exactly, but it is convergent.

Dick said:
The sum is not divergent. A ratio test will tell you that. I don't know how to sum it exactly, but it is convergent.
oh I think I noticed my error of breaking the sum up since its a property of finite sums only.

Hint: If that sum had an ##e^{-2}## factor, what expected value of what distribution would it be calculating?

LCKurtz said:
Hint: If that sum had an ##e^{-2}## factor, what expected value of what distribution would it be calculating?
Yeah I kinda understand that what I'm uncertain about is how does Σ(from x=0->∞) (x^2)(2^x)(e^-2)/x! = 6. The x^2 confuses me ?

LCKurtz said:

NATURE.M said:
Yeah I kinda understand that what I'm uncertain about is how does Σ(from x=0->∞) (x^2)(2^x)(e^-2)/x! = 6. The x^2 confuses me ?

If you would answer my question it might help you.

use homogeneous differentiation for these types of exercises

$$\sum_{x=0}^\infty \dfrac{x^22^x}{x!}=\left. \left(r\dfrac{\mathrm{d}\phantom{r}}{\mathrm{d}r}\right)^2\sum_{x=0}^\infty \dfrac{r^x}{x!}\right|_{r=2}$$

or use
$$\sum_{x=0}^\infty \dfrac{r^x}{x!}
=\sum_{x=0}^\infty x\dfrac{r^{x-1}}{x!}
=\sum_{x=0}^\infty x(x-1)\dfrac{r^{x-2}}{x!}=e^x$$

Last edited:

Related to Finding the exact value of a summation.

1. What is a summation?

A summation is a mathematical operation that involves adding a sequence of numbers or terms together. It is represented by the symbol ∑ (sigma) and is often used to find the total value of a series.

2. How do I find the exact value of a summation?

To find the exact value of a summation, you need to evaluate the expression by plugging in the values of the variables and then performing the indicated operations. This can be done manually or by using a calculator or computer program.

3. What is the difference between an infinite and finite summation?

An infinite summation has an unlimited number of terms, while a finite summation has a specific number of terms. In other words, an infinite summation continues forever, whereas a finite summation has an endpoint.

4. Can I use a formula to find the exact value of a summation?

Yes, there are several formulas that can be used to find the exact value of a summation, depending on the type of series. Some common formulas include the arithmetic series formula, geometric series formula, and telescoping series formula.

5. What are some common applications of summation in science?

Summation is used in various branches of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology. It is often used to calculate the total energy, mass, or volume of a system, as well as to determine averages and rates of change.