1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding m in quadratic equation 12x^2 + 8mx + (4m-3) = 0

1. Apr 5, 2006 #1

danago

Gold Member

Hey. Today i had a test on quadratics and discriminants. I think i did fairly well, but i am a bit confused about one of the questions i had in it.

We were given the following quadratic equation:

[tex]12x^2 + 8mx + (4m-3) = 0[/tex]

What we had to do was prove that for any integer value of m, the equation would have rational solutions.

What i did was first take the discriminant of the equation:
    [tex]\Delta = (8m)^2 - 4(12)(4m-3)[/tex]

simplified it:
    [tex]\Delta = 64m^2 - 192m + 144[/tex]

From that, i then created a table of values. I made a table of values for m (-5 to 5), the discriminant, then the square root of the discriminant. Since all of the square roots were whole numbers, i could have used that as a reason why all the solutions would be rational, but its not really proving that all values for m will follow the rule. It just shows that 10 of my chosen values work.

from here i wasnt really sure what to do. I noted that the discriminant of the original equation was a quadratic function itself, so i graphed it, and noticed that for every integer value of x, its corrosponding y value will be a perfect square number. I wrote about this observation, and am just hoping its close enough to what i should have done.

If anybody has any idea about if i should have gone about this another way, or if i was right, please post :) all comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dan.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2006 #2
    Try factoring the discriminant. Then use the quadratic formula to show that all answers are rational.

4. Apr 5, 2006 #3

VietDao29

Homework Helper

So far so good.
    Do you know what are rational numbers? They are numbers that can be expressed in a form of a fraction p / q, where p, and q are whole numbers (integers).
    To prove that the solutions are rational for any integer value of m, you should prove that:
    [tex]\frac{-8m \pm \sqrt{\Delta}}{24}[/tex] is a rational number, right?
    Note that:
    [tex]\Delta = 64m ^ 2 - 192m + 144 = (8m - 12) ^ 2[/tex].
    Can you go from here? :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?