Show that ##(b-c)x^2+(c-a)x+a-b=0## has rational roots

If the discriminant is not a perfect square, then the roots are not rational.In summary, the condition for the roots of a quadratic equation ##px^2+qx+d## to be rational is for the discriminant ##q^2-4pd## to be greater than or equal to 0 and a perfect square. This can be shown by factoring the quadratic into the form ##(x-1)[(c-b)x+(a-b)]=0## and using the fact that 1 is always a root of the quadratic. If the discriminant is not a perfect square, then the roots are not rational.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Show that ##(b-c)x^2+(c-a)x+a-b=0## has rational roots
Relevant Equations
discriminant
If we have a quadratic equation, ##px^2+qx+d## ,then the condition that the roots are rational is satisfied if our discriminant has the form ## q^2-4pd≥0## (also being a perfect square). Therefore we shall have,
##(c-a)^2-4(b-c)((a-b)≥0##
##(c-a)^2-4(ab-b^2-ac+bc)≥0##
##(c-a)^2-4[b(a-b)-c(b-a)]≥0##
##(c-a)^2+4[b(b-a)-c(b-a)]≥0##also...
##(c^2+a^2+4b^2+4ac)-4bc-2ac≥0##... i may need to analyse this later...i hope i am on the right track...i was also thinking of using the complete the square approach to prove this...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation is written as
[tex](x-1)[(c-b)x+(a-b)]=0[/tex]
I assume the problem states something about a,b,c.

Likes PeroK
chwala said:
If ##b^2-4ac≥0 ## is positive and a perfect square then the roots are rational.
This is wrong, as was pointed out in your previous thread. You can't use the same letters for different things in the same question.

anuttarasammyak said:
The equation is written as
[tex](x-1)[(c-b)x+(a-b)]=0[/tex]
I assume the problem states something about a,b,c.
That is not stated...i have typed exactly as it appears on my textbook. see attached;

1644324529419.png

old textbook ...first published in 1973...

PeroK said:
This is wrong, as was pointed out in your previous thread. You can't use the same letters for different things in the same question.
I will amend and use different variables...talk later...

Now we get two solutions. The solution other than 1 is rational or not depends on what are a,b and c.

Last edited:
Likes chwala
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: Show that ##(b-c)x^2+(c-a)x+a-b=0## has rational roots
Relevant Equations:: discriminant

If we have a quadratic equation, ##px^2+qx+d## ,then the condition that the roots are rational is satisfied if our discriminant has the form ## q^2-4pd≥0## (also being a perfect square). Therefore we shall have,
The roots are
[tex]x=\frac{-q \pm \sqrt{q^2-4pd}}{2p}[/tex]
where
[tex]p=b-c, \ q=c-a, \ d=a-b[/tex]
so
[tex]x=\frac{-(c-a) \pm \sqrt{(a-c)^2-4(b-c)(a-b)}}{2(b-c)}=\frac{-(c-a) \pm (2b-a-c)}{2(b-c)}[/tex]
Thus we confirm #2.

Last edited:
Likes chwala
anuttarasammyak said:
The roots are
where
so
[tex]x=\frac{-(c-a) \pm \sqrt{(a-c)^2-4(b-c)(a-b)}}{2(b-c)}=\frac{-(c-a) \pm (2b-a-c)}{2(b-c)}[/tex]
Thus we confirm #2.
I guess i may be tired...how did you factorise ##a^2+2ac+c^2+4(b^2-ab-bc)?## into a perfect square? Indeed its true that if you expand lhs we get the rhs... ##(2b-a-c)^2=a^2+2ac+c^2+4(b^2-ab-bc)## ... wah:rolleyes:

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
The roots are
where
so
Thus we confirm #2.
Thanks...you made it look easy anutta:cool:...The key in this question ( been trying to figure that out)... was to try and express the discriminant as a perfect square. Cheers man!

It's a lot easier if you notice that ##1## is always a root of the quadratic:
$$(b-c)1^2+(c-a)1+a-b = b - c + c - a + a - b = 0$$That allows you to factorise as in post #2:
anuttarasammyak said:
[tex](x-1)[(b-c)x-(a-b)]=0[/tex]
And the other root is ##\frac{a -b}{b-c}##.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
It's a lot easier if you notice that ##1## is always a root of the quadratic:
$$(b-c)1^2+(c-a)1+a-b = b - c + c - a + a - b = 0$$That allows you to factrorise as in post #2:

And the other root is ##\frac{a -b}{b-c}##.
wawawawawa you guys are smart...thanks Perok i learned something new today (i.e 1 always being a factor of a quadratic. bingo:biggrin:!)...therefore,
if ##f(x)= bx^2-cx^2+cx-ax+a-b## and we have the factor ##x-1##, then i have just checked using long division that,
##f(x)= bx^2-cx^2+cx-ax+a-b≡(x-1)(bx-cx+b-a)## wah!

chwala said:
wawawawawa you guys are smart...thanks Perok i learned something new today (i.e 1 always being a factor of a quadratic. bingo:biggrin:!).
Not any quadratic, only this one.

• Informative
Likes chwala

1. What does it mean for a polynomial to have rational roots?

A polynomial having rational roots means that the solutions to the polynomial equation can be expressed as fractions with integer coefficients. In other words, the roots are rational numbers.

2. How can you determine if a polynomial has rational roots?

One way to determine if a polynomial has rational roots is by using the Rational Root Theorem. This theorem states that if a polynomial has rational roots, then those roots must be in the form of p/q, where p is a factor of the constant term and q is a factor of the leading coefficient.

3. How can you show that a polynomial has rational roots?

To show that a polynomial has rational roots, you can use the Rational Root Theorem to list out all possible rational roots and then use synthetic division or long division to test each root and see if it satisfies the polynomial equation. If one of the roots works, then the polynomial has rational roots.

4. What is the significance of a polynomial having rational roots?

A polynomial having rational roots can make it easier to find the solutions to the polynomial equation, as rational numbers are often easier to work with than irrational numbers. It also allows for the use of techniques such as factoring and the Rational Root Theorem to solve the equation.

5. Can a polynomial have both rational and irrational roots?

Yes, a polynomial can have both rational and irrational roots. For example, the polynomial x^2 - 2 has both rational (sqrt(2)) and irrational (-sqrt(2)) roots. However, if a polynomial has rational roots, it must also have irrational roots, as irrational roots cannot be expressed as fractions with integer coefficients.