Finding Magnitudes of Forces in Similar Triangles

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
afifbaha
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Member warned about posting with no template and no effort
An upward force of magnitude 30N is combined with a second force F which makes an angle of 10degree with the horizontal. The resultant makes an anglre of 40degree with the horizontal.

a. Determine the magnitude of the second force
b. Determine the magnitude of the resultant
 
Physics news on Phys.org
rpthomps said:
Where is your attempt?
I have no idea how to do it
 
IN fact if you make a good scale diagram, you could answer the question pretty closely and I think it would give you a good feel for the algebraic approach,
 
rpthomps said:
IN fact if you make a good scale diagram, you could answer the question pretty closely and I think it would give you a good feel for the algebraic approach,

Ok this is my diagram. Then what?
 
Attachments
  • 1465917259808665583887.jpg
    1465917259808665583887.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 501
Well, if you made it to scale, you could just measure the lines now and that would be your answer. But if you are required to come up with an algebraic answer perhaps some trig can help you here. Can you think of some trigonometry that could help you find the sides of that shape?
 
rpthomps said:
Well, if you made it to scale, you could just measure the lines now and that would be your answer. But if you are required to come up with an algebraic answer perhaps some trig can help you here. Can you think of some trigonometry that could

help you find the sides of that shape?

How can i draw to scale if i don't know the 2nd force?
 
Wh
rpthomps said:
By using a protractor. :)

What about the length of 2nd force? The magnitude is yet to be calculated
 
As long as the angles in the triangle are all the same, it doesn't matter what the size of the triangle is, it will be similar to a triangle that I draw with the exact same angles. If I know one side, then I use a scale, we will get the same answer for the lengths. That's the "magic" of similar triangles.