How do similar triangles help determine the visible area in a plane mirror?

In summary, the question is asking how much of a wall 3m behind you can be observed in a 5 cm square mirror held centrally at a distance of 10 cm from your eye. The solution involves using similar triangles to find the height of the wall that can be seen above the top and below the bottom of the mirror. Adding this height to the size of the mirror (5 cm) gives the total size of the square that can be seen, which is 75 cm + 5 cm + 75 cm = 155 cm. Drawing a sketch can help with understanding the problem.
Wing2015

Homework Statement

How much of a wall 3m behind you can be observed in a 5 cm square mirror which is held centrally at a distance of 10 cm from your eye?

Homework Equations

None that I can think of. I think this is straight geometry.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to use similar triangles but don't understand why. What's the rule of thumb for using similar triangles? Is it because the eye is in common between the wall and mirror? How do I know the two triangles share the same angles?

This is the answer in the book:

Let the highest part of the wall able to be seen be x metres above the top of the mirror.

From similar triangles:
X/300 =2.5\10
X=75 cm

You can see a square of the wall of length 75+5+75=155cm

Now I think I understand why the second similar triangles side length is 2.5cm ( the mirror was placed centrally hence 5cm/2) but can you explain why 75 is added twice and then to the length of the full mirror in the last part? I'm really lost.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Wing2015 said:

Homework Statement

How much of a wall 3m behind you can be observed in a 5 cm square mirror which is held centrally at a distance of 10 cm from your eye?

Homework Equations

None that I can think of. I think this is straight geometry.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to use similar triangles but don't understand why. What's the rule of thumb for using similar triangles? Is it because the eye is in common between the wall and mirror? How do I know the two triangles share the same angles?

This is the answer in the book:

Let the highest part of the wall able to be seen be x metres above the top of the mirror.

From similar triangles:
X/300 =2.5\10
X=75 cm

You can see a square of the wall of length 75+5+75=155cm

Now I think I understand why the second similar triangles side length is 2.5cm ( the mirror was placed centrally hence 5cm/2) but can you explain why 75 is added twice and then to the length of the full mirror in the last part? I'm really lost.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
[/B]

Because you want the total size of the square. You can see 75cm above the top of the mirror and 75cm below the bottom. Add the 5cm size of the mirror and you're done.

Those problems are much easier to understand if you draw a sketch.

Thanks for your replies! I get it now. There was a problem with the way I sketched the problem which was the reason why I wasn't able to understand.

Cheers

1. What is a plane mirror?

A plane mirror is a flat, smooth surface that reflects light in a predictable manner. It is typically made of glass with a thin, reflective coating on one side.

2. How does a plane mirror reflect light?

When light hits a plane mirror, it bounces off at the same angle at which it hit the mirror. This is known as the law of reflection. The reflected image appears to be the same distance behind the mirror as the object is in front of the mirror.

3. What is the difference between a virtual image and a real image?

A virtual image is an image that appears to be behind the mirror and cannot be projected onto a screen. A real image is an image that can be projected onto a screen and is formed in front of the mirror.

4. Can a plane mirror form a magnified image?

No, a plane mirror always forms an image that is the same size as the object. It does not have any magnifying properties.

5. How can the reflection of a plane mirror be used in everyday life?

The reflection of a plane mirror is used in everyday life in many ways, such as in mirrors for personal grooming, in rearview mirrors for driving, and in telescopes and periscopes for viewing objects at different angles. It is also used in optical illusions and in the creation of kaleidoscopes.