1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding marginal density functions

1. Dec 9, 2012 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The joint probability density function of ##X## and ##Y## is given by $$f(x,y) = \frac{1}{8}(y^2 - x^2)e^{-y},\,\,\,\, x \in\,[-y,y]\,\,,y \in\,(0, \infty)$$

Compute the marginal densities of ##X## and ##Y##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the defintions are $$ F_X(x) = \int_{- \infty}^{\infty}\,f(x,y)\,dy\, \text{and}\, F_Y(y) = \int_{- \infty}^{\infty}\,f(x,y)\,dx.$$

Am I correct in saying that if the domains of x and y are just numbers then the limits on the integrals are the endpoints of these domains? I.e if in the example above ##x \in\, [2,4], \,\,\text{and}\,\, y\,\in\,[1,3] F_Y(y) = \int_2^4 f(x,y)\,dx,\,\,\text{while}\,\, F_X(x) = \int_1^3 f(x,y)\,dy##, right?

However, in this case, the domain of x depends on y. So x is less than y=x and greater than y = -x. Drawing this, I see it is the portion enclosed by x = |y|, but above the x axis (since y is greater than 0). Hence, to get the limits when computing ##F_X(x)##, I should say y is from x to infinity. When I check the answers, they have y from |x| to infinity. Can't I replace |x| = x since y is above 0? Or did I miss something else? Many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Two points.
    (1) You should use the notations ##f_X(x)## instead of ##F_X(x)##, etc., because F looks like a cumulative distribution function. In probability is is common to use small letters for densities or probability mass functions and capital letters for (cumulative) distribution functions.
    (2) Always draw a picture when evaluating 2D integrals. If you draw the allowable combinations of x and y, everything will become clear.

4. Dec 9, 2012 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

I forgot the portion on the left hand side - it's clear now. I have a conceptual question: what does a marginal density actually mean?

5. Dec 9, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The marginal density of X is just the probability density of X. The random variable X may be one component of a much more extensive list (or vector) of properties, but we are just ignoring those other components (if any) when we look at the marginal. In your case, X is the first component of a vector (X,Y), but when we look at the marginal density of X we are ignoring Y. Isn't all this explained in your textbook? If not, I am very surprised.

6. Dec 10, 2012 #5

CAF123

Gold Member

I see. My book did contain that, however it is more geared toward giving examples rather than explaining the theory so that might be why I missed it first time. From this same question, I asks to compute ##E[X]##. I know this is equal to ##\int_{-∞}^{∞} x f_X(x) dx##, so can I write this as ##\int_{-y}^y x f_X(x) dx##. In the book, they take the limits of integration as 0 to ∞. Why is this? I know x is from -y to y, so can't x take on negative values too? (If y = 5, say, then x is from -5 to 5?). It would seem to me that the limits be from -∞ to ∞?

7. Dec 10, 2012 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The two integrals
    [tex]\int_{-∞}^{∞} x f_X(x) dx [/tex]
    and
    [tex]\int_{-y}^y x f_X(x) dx [/tex]
    are not equal. Why would you think they are the same?

8. Dec 10, 2012 #7

CAF123

Gold Member

The former integral is if x is not restricted to any domain and the latter if it is. No?

9. Dec 10, 2012 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, not in this problem. When you talk about f_X there is no y anywhere; y is gone.

10. Dec 10, 2012 #9

CAF123

Gold Member

Oh, pardon me, what a mistake to make. The expectation should be a number, not a function. But why are the limits from 0 to ∞?

11. Dec 10, 2012 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I said it before, and I will say it again one more time: draw a diagram! This will show the region in the (x,y) plane where f_{XY}(x,y) > 0.

12. Dec 10, 2012 #11

CAF123

Gold Member

I did draw a diagram but the region -y < x < y is the region above y = |x| in the xy plane. That's why I think the limits are from -∞ to ∞ for x. I don't know why x is resticted from 0 to ∞. To get that case, we would need x > |y| I think.

13. Dec 10, 2012 #12

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The function f_X(x) = f(x) is symmetric, so the integral of x*f(x) from -inf to +inf is zero; that is, EX = 0. The integral of x*f from 0 to +inf is positive, so it looks like they are computing (1/2) E|X|.

14. Dec 10, 2012 #13

CAF123

Gold Member

The answer in the back of the book is that EX = 0. Does this mean that the limits are actually -∞ to ∞? When I check the solutions, they compute the integral from 0 to ∞, yet still get 0 (When I work it through, I get 3/4, which as you said is indeed positive).

15. Dec 10, 2012 #14

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can have EX = 0 without having limits of -∞ and +∞---that is a whole separate issue. The question is: what are the limits in THIS problem? Well, can you have values of x > 100? can you have x < -1000? x > 100,000,000? Is there ANY M > 0 that has P{X > M} = 0 and P(X < -M} = 0? If you think there is, please tell me a suitable value of M. If there is no such value of M, what is that telling you? (I am sure you already know the answer; it just seems to be the case that you lack confidence in your own answers.)

16. Dec 11, 2012 #15

CAF123

Gold Member

There is no such M. As long as x lies between -y and y. And since y is from 0 to infinity, the value of x can take any value in (-∞, ∞).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook