Finding mass of air at 70F and 200psi to calculate specific volume

  • Thread starter Thread starter Frustra8ed
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pressure
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Frustra8ed
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I know this question is easy, but for some reason I am unable to figure it out.

The first part of the problem wants to know what the volume is in a pressurized tank. I figured it and it equals 2.1 ft^3.

The second part asks for the specific volume at 70 F and 200 psi.
So far all I have is v(specific volume) = V/m. Or 1/d = v

The gas in the tank is air, so basically I need to find the mass of air @ 70 F and 200 psi. I have the volume, so that is not the problem.

The answer to the question is .98 ft^3/lbm

Should I be using ideal gas laws? If I do use the ideal, I'm assuming I need to convert units. I'm having a problem converting psi to lbf/ft^2...

I can't come up with this answer, so if anyone can give me a hand I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Frustr8ed, as the name states. :confused:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Frustra8ed said:
I know this question is easy, but for some reason I am unable to figure it out.

The first part of the problem wants to know what the volume is in a pressurized tank. I figured it and it equals 2.1 ft^3.

The second part asks for the specific volume at 70 F and 200 psi.
So far all I have is v(specific volume) = V/m. Or 1/d = v

The gas in the tank is air, so basically I need to find the mass of air @ 70 F and 200 psi. I have the volume, so that is not the problem.

The answer to the question is .98 ft^3/lbm

Should I be using ideal gas laws? If I do use the ideal, I'm assuming I need to convert units. I'm having a problem converting psi to lbf/ft^2...

I can't come up with this answer, so if anyone can give me a hand I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Frustr8ed, as the name states. :confused:
It would help if you would state the whole question. Use the ideal gas equation of state, PV=nRT to find n (number of moles). The answer won't be in ft^3/lbm.

AM
 
You may want to consider using this form of the ideal gas law:

[tex]P \nu = RT[/tex]

where:

[tex]P = Pressure (Lb_{f}/ft^2)[/tex]
[tex]\nu = Specific Volume (ft^3/Lb_{m})[/tex]
[tex]R = Universal Gas Constant (for air: 53.35 Ft*Lb_{f}/°R*LB_{m})[/tex]
[tex]T = Temperature (°R)[/tex]
 
Thanks for the responses. I believe that last equation is the one I need to use, but I was having trouble converting units.

Thanks Again,

Frustra8ed