Finding Mass of an Object [Fluid Mechanics]

In summary, a 20.0 cm cube of wood with a density of 650kg/m^3 floats on water. The distance from the horizontal top surface of the cube to the water level is 7.0cm. To make the top of the cube level with the water, a mass of 2.80kg of lead needs to be placed on the cube. Using the formula Vfluid/Vobject= Dobject/Dfluid, the volume of the cube is found to be 8000cm^3.
Minihoudini
A cube of wood having an edge dimension of 20.0 cm and a density of 650kg/m^3 floats on water. a) what is the distance from the horizontal top surface of the cube to the water level?
b)what mass of lead should be placed ont eh cube so that the top of the cube will be just level with the water?

A is 7.0cm
B is 2.80kg

Vfluid/Vobject= Dobject/Dfluid

I figured out how do to the first part but I am having trouble trying to find out part B.
I know you have to use V=m/d but the problem is I can't seem to find volume.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the volume of a cube?

sorry its 8000cm^3

What is the definition of mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. It is a fundamental property of an object and is typically measured in kilograms (kg).

What is the formula for finding the mass of an object?

The formula for finding the mass of an object is mass = density x volume. This means that mass is equal to the density of the object multiplied by its volume.

What tools are needed to find the mass of an object?

To find the mass of an object, you will need a balance or scale and the object itself. The balance or scale will measure the weight of the object, which can then be converted to mass using the formula mentioned above.

How can the mass of an irregularly-shaped object be determined?

The mass of an irregularly-shaped object can be determined by using displacement. This involves placing the object in a known volume of liquid and measuring the amount of liquid it displaces. The volume of the displaced liquid can then be used to calculate the mass using the formula for density.

Why is it important to accurately determine the mass of an object in fluid mechanics?

In fluid mechanics, the mass of an object is important because it affects the object's buoyancy and its ability to float or sink in a fluid. It also plays a role in determining the object's velocity and acceleration when moving through a fluid. Accurately determining the mass of an object is crucial for making accurate calculations and predictions in fluid mechanics.