Finding mass percentage and density of a sodium chloride solution

  • Thread starter Thread starter rochelle_soccergirl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chemistry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
rochelle_soccergirl
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I have a chemistry assignment question that I don't understand. Any help you could give me as ot solving this problem would be greatly appreciated. Here is the question:
Suppose you make a solution that contains 10.23g of sodium chloride and 629g of water
a)what is the mass%of sodium chloride
b)If 11.72ml of your solution weighs 11.833g what is the density.

I should know how to do this problem but I havent' taken chemistry for 2 years
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Mass % = mass of consituent (in this case NaCl) / total mass x 100.

Total mass = mass NaCl + mass water.


Density = mass / vol.

Units of density could be kg/l (l = liter), kg/m3, g/cc (cc = cm3), or g/ml, as well as others.
 
I understand A but I still don't understand how to do B
 
ro=M/V
density = Mass/Volume

you have mass..now you need volume..as in astronuc posts there can be many density units.
there is a conversion from milliliter to gram or kg. So you got to find out how to do that conversion...simple steps of changing the metric/measurement unit..
like a conversion from yards to m.