Finding Mass through Stoichiometry of Ethanol in a chemical equation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
iHate Physics
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



1) What is the mass of 100% Ethanol?
2) How much ethanol would be expected from 18% glucose solution?
3) What else will be generated? How can we calculate this amount?

Given:

Fermentation Equation:

C6H12O6(aq) + 2C2H5OH(aq) + 2CO2(g) + Heat
(glucose) (ethanol) (carbon dioxide) Molecular Weight of Ethanol = 46.7 g/mol
Density of Ethanol = 0.789 g/cm3
2% glucose solution contains 20g/L of glucose

Homework Equations


D=M/V

The Attempt at a Solution


To be honest I'm not sure where to start to attempt this question. A friend of mine sent me this question last night for her assignment and I was stumped. I just wanted to know if someone could help explain how I could find the mass of ethanol with only the variables given to me. I've asked my friend and she keeps insisting there were no other variables. I haven't touched chemistry in years and was just wondering if someone could refresh my memory.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
how do you find an extensive variable from an intensive variable?

lol tell him he is missing some info