1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy problem - ice melted by burning ethanol

1. Apr 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How many grams of ice at 0°C could be melted by the heat produced when 10.0g of ethanol is burned?

2. Relevant equations
    So I wrote out the combustion reaction:
    C2H5OH +3O2 ---> 2CO2 + 3H2O

3. The attempt at a solution
    First I though I had to find heat of formation for that reaction, which I found to be -1235.6kJ (So this would be the heat given off when ethanol is burned correct?)
    Hf=products-reactants
    Hf=[-393.6(2)+-242(3)]-[-277.6+0]
    Hf=-1235.6kJ

I wasn't sure if I had to use that number or if I had to just pull the Hf number off my chart for ethanol (-277.6kJ)

I have the answer given to me, but I'm stuck at converting my kJ to g of water. (Answer is 802g)

Tried: 1235.6kJ[1mol/6.03kJ][18.02g/1mol]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2010 #2
    You need to constants. The latent heat of fusion of ice (let us denote it by [tex]L_{f}[/tex]) and the energy released by burning a unit mass of ethanol (let us denote it by [tex]q[/tex]). Then, you simply have:

Heat needed to melt mass [tex]m(\texrm{ice})[/tex] = [tex] L_{f} \cdot m(\textrm{ice})[/tex]

Heat released by burning mass [tex]m(\textrm{ethanol})[/tex] = [tex]q \cdot m(\textrm{ethanol})[/tex]

These are equal, so, you have an equation for [tex]m(\textrm{ice})[/tex]:

[tex]
    m(\textrm{ice}) = \frac{q}{L_{f}} m(\textrm{ethanol})
    [/tex]

4. Apr 18, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the help. It worked out with that. Also the q value I was using was wrong, had forgot to take into account the 10g of ethanol being burned.

5. Apr 18, 2010 #4
    cool. am i right to assume you're a chem student?

6. Apr 19, 2010 #5
    Yeah I am. Right now just the high school course, next year I'm doing Physics with a minor in Chem

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook