1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding mass with dirac delta function

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Distribution of matter is given in cylindrical coordinates:

[tex]\rho(\vec{r})=\frac{1}{\rho}\delta(\rho^2-10\rho+9)\delta\left(\frac{z^2-a^2}{z^2+a^2}\right)\delta(\cot(\phi))[/tex]

where [tex]a>0[/tex] is a constant. Find the complete mass of the object.

2. Relevant equations

The mass of the object is given as:

[tex]M=\int_{\partial V}\rho(\vec{r})dV[/tex]

So in order to calculate the integral I need to expand the deltas with this formula:

[tex]\delta(f(x))=\sum_{i=1}^n\frac{\delta(x-x_i)}{|f'(x_i)|}[/tex], where [tex]|f'(x_i)|[/tex] is the derivative of the function evaluated at the zeroes of the function [tex]x_i[/tex].

Integral in cylindrical coordinate system is:

[tex]\int_0^\infty\rho d\rho\int_0^{2\pi} d\phi\int_{-\infty}^\infty dz[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have expanded the first delta:

[tex]\delta(\rho^2-10\rho+9)=\frac{\delta(\rho-1)}{8}+\frac{\delta(\rho-9)}{8}[/tex].

I'm having problem with the second one. Do I 'brake' it with partial fractions?

Third one (which I'm not sure I got it right):

[tex]\delta(\cot(\phi))=\sum_{m=-\infty}^\infty\delta\left(\phi-\left(m+\frac{1}{2}\right)\pi\right)[/tex]

So my problem is: how do I solve the second delta and I'm not quite sure I got the third one right. How should I integrate it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2
    I see no problem in the second delta. Just find the zeros and calculate the derivatives.
    Your answer for the third delta seems to be right.

4. Jan 24, 2010 #3
    So the second one is:
    [tex]a\left[\delta(z-a)+\delta(z+a)\right][/tex]?

But how do I calculate the integral? With [tex]\phi[/tex] part? When I put it into Mathematica I get different answers:
    For putting sum in front of the integral:
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}\theta(3 - 2 m, \pi + 2 m \pi)[/tex]
    And for putting integral in front of the sum I have [tex]\frac{7}{\pi}[/tex], which is weird because shouldn't I get the same results no matter which goes first?

But that's on the side note, on my exam I won't have Mathematica :D, so how to calculate that?

5. Jan 25, 2010 #4
    The integral of delta function is:

[tex]
    \int_a^b f(x) \delta(x-c)\,dx = \begin{cases}
    f(c), & a < c < b; \\
    f(c)/2, & c = a \;\text{or}\; c = b; \\
    0, & \text{otherwise}.
    \end{cases}
    [/tex]

I think it's not a problem to calculate it without Mathematica.

In cylindrical coordinates

[tex]
    0 \leq \phi < 2\pi.
    [/tex]

You should keep only two terms of the infinite sum.

6. Jan 25, 2010 #5
    Those terms are random or? I'm confused because I have only solved simple integrals with delta function in my class, never with these sums :(

7. Jan 25, 2010 #6
    No, they are not random.
    When you integrate the sum

[tex]
    \sum_m \delta(\phi - \phi_m)
    [/tex]

only two terms fit the condition

[tex]\phi_m \in (0, 2\pi).[/tex]

The other terms are not integrated and give zero.

8. Jan 25, 2010 #7
    I see, that's because I'm only need two zeros in that interval, so I'm only using those two! Thanks!!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook