Finding max and min of x²y on the circle x²+y²=1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
chesshaha
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



find the max and min of f(x,y)=x^2y, constraint x^2+y^2=1

Homework Equations



None.

The Attempt at a Solution



I found that possible points use the procedure of the method of lagrange multiplier, I got [tex](\pm\sqrt{2/3}, \pm\sqrt{1/3}[/tex] so 4 points total.
But do I have to check the end point on the constraint? like points (-1, 0), (1, 0), (0, 1), (0, -1)?and y this latex thing won't work? help please. lol
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should check the boundaries because for 1) they could have max or min depending contexts and 2) they will give you some sanity towards the answer you have.
 
Change the direction of the slash on your closing tex tag. [\tex] sould be [ /tex] (witout the space obviously)