Finding Global Max and Min values of an Absolute Function

In summary, this function has four optima (two global and two local), and its derivative has a step discontinuity at those points.
Wi_N

Homework Statement

y=0.5x^3 - abs(1-3x), [-2,2]

The Attempt at a Solution

So i found the min value y(-2)=-11 and i found lokal min at x=sqrt2
There is a sharp max somewhere around x=0.3 but i cannot for the life of me find how to get that point.
Also i wrote there is only 1 local min and that was wrong apparently but plotting it i only see one local min.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wi_N said:

Homework Statement

There is a sharp max somewhere around x=0.3 but i cannot for the life of me find how to get that point.
Also i wrote there is only 1 local min and that was wrong apparently but plotting it i only see one local min.
Replace the absolute values by writing the function with a piecewise definition.
|1 - 3x| = 1 - 3x, if x <= 1/3, and |1 - 3x| = -(1 - 3x), if x >= 1/3. On each part of these intervals, you have a function whose graph is a straight line.

Likes Wi_N
Mark44 said:
Replace the absolute values by writing the function with a piecewise definition.
|1 - 3x| = 1 - 3x, if x <= 1/3, and |1 - 3x| = -(1 - 3x), if x >= 1/3. On each part of these intervals, you have a function whose graph is a straight line.

1/54

thanks

Wi_N said:
1/54
?
What does this have to do with your problem?

Mark44 said:
?
What does this have to do with your problem?
thats the max value of the function.

Wi_N said:

Homework Statement

You cannot find the maximum by setting the derivative to zero, because the maximum occurs at a point of non-differeniability. In a case like this one, you can split up the function into two parts: (i) the part where ##-2 \leq x \leq 1/3##; and (ii) the part where ##1/3 \leq x \leq 2.## On each part you can look for maxima and minima by finding interior optima (if any)----where the derivative vanishes---and checking for endpoint maxima or minima. Or, you can just plot the thing and inspect it visually.

In this case you have a global maximum at ##x = 1/3## and a local maximum at ##x=2##. You have a global minimum at ##x=-2## and a local minimum at ##x = \sqrt{2}.## Note that at both global optima the derivative fails to vanish. The derivative is zero at the local minimum but nonzero at the local max.

Likes Wi_N

What is the definition of a global max and min value?

A global max value is the highest point on a graph or function within a given range, while a global min value is the lowest point on a graph or function within the same range.

How do I determine the global max and min values of an absolute function?

To find the global max and min values of an absolute function, you must first find the critical points by setting the derivative of the function equal to zero. Then, plug those points into the original function to find the corresponding y-values. The highest y-value will be the global max value, and the lowest y-value will be the global min value.

Can there be more than one global max or min value for an absolute function?

Yes, an absolute function can have multiple global max and min values within a given range. This occurs when the function has a plateau or a flat section where multiple points have the same highest or lowest y-value.

What is the difference between a local max/min and a global max/min?

A local max or min refers to a point on a graph or function that is the highest or lowest within a small interval, but not necessarily the highest or lowest within the entire range. A global max or min, on the other hand, refers to the highest or lowest point within the entire range of the function.

What are some real-world applications of finding global max and min values of an absolute function?

One example is in economics, where finding the global max and min values of a cost function can help determine the most cost-efficient production level for a company. In physics, finding the global max and min values of a velocity function can help determine the fastest and slowest speeds of an object. Additionally, in engineering, finding global max and min values of a stress function can help determine the maximum and minimum stress levels on a structure.