Finding missing point of a vector when it is perpendicular to a line

In summary: We can write this as a scalar product:$$\left(t,-9+t,3-t\right) \cdot \begin{pmatrix}1\\1\\-1\end{pmatrix} = 0$$$$t - 9 + t - 3 + t = 0$$$$3t = 12$$$$t = 12/3 = 4$$So,$$B = \left(4+t,-1+t,-t\right) = \left(4+4,-1+4,-4\right) = \left(8,3,-4\right)$$In summary, to find the coordinates of point B on the line L1, such
AJTheRed
The question:
The line L1 has equation \(\displaystyle r = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}4 \\-1 \\0\\\end{array} \right) + t\left( \begin{array}{ccc}1 \\1 \\-1\\\end{array} \right) \), and point A has coordinates (4, 8, -3).

Find the coordinates of point B on L1, such that \(\displaystyle \overrightarrow{AB}\) is perpendicular to L1.

My attempt to answer:
I know that \(\displaystyle \overrightarrow{AB} \cdot \left( \begin{array}{ccc}4 \\-1 \\0\\\end{array} \right) + t\left( \begin{array}{ccc}1 \\1 \\-1\\\end{array} \right) = 0\). I also know that this scalar product has to do with finding point B. I also know that \(\displaystyle \overrightarrow{AB}\) = \(\displaystyle B-A\) = \(\displaystyle B - \left( \begin{array}{ccc}4 \\8\\-3\\\end{array} \right)\) and I think that \(\displaystyle \left( \begin{array}{ccc}4 \\-1 \\0\\\end{array} \right) + t\left( \begin{array}{ccc}1 \\1 \\-1\\\end{array} \right) = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}4+t \\-1+t \\0-t\\\end{array} \right)\). If all of this is plugged into the scalar product, we get \(\displaystyle \left(B - \left( \begin{array}{ccc}4 \\8\\-3\\\end{array} \right)\right)\cdot \left( \begin{array}{ccc}4+t \\-1+t \\0-t\\\end{array} \right) = 0\), which can be rewritten as \(\displaystyle V_{1}W_{1} + V_{2}W_{2} + V_{3}W_{3} = 0\) or \(\displaystyle ((B_{1}-4)(4+t))+((B_{2}-8)(-1+t))+((B_{3}-(-3))(-t)) = 0\). Assuming that I've done everything above correctly, what I am struggling with is figuring out how to go about finding the B and t values so that the scalar product is equal to zero. Any hints as to a mistake or mistakes I may have made or what I should do next is very much appreciated and I thank you for taking the time to read through this whole question to lend some support.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
AJTheRed said:
The question:
The line L1 has equation \(\displaystyle r = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}4 \\-1 \\0\\\end{array} \right) + t\left( \begin{array}{ccc}1 \\1 \\-1\\\end{array} \right) \), and point A has coordinates (4, 8, -3).

Find the coordinates of point B on L1, such that \(\displaystyle \overrightarrow{AB}\) is perpendicular to L1.

My attempt to answer:
I know that \(\displaystyle \overrightarrow{AB} \cdot \left( \begin{array}{ccc}4 \\-1 \\0\\\end{array} \right) + t\left( \begin{array}{ccc}1 \\1 \\-1\\\end{array} \right) = 0\). I also know that this scalar product has to do with finding point B. I also know that \(\displaystyle \overrightarrow{AB}\) = \(\displaystyle B-A\) = \(\displaystyle B - \left( \begin{array}{ccc}4 \\8\\-3\\\end{array} \right)\) and I think that \(\displaystyle \left( \begin{array}{ccc}4 \\-1 \\0\\\end{array} \right) + t\left( \begin{array}{ccc}1 \\1 \\-1\\\end{array} \right) = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}4+t \\-1+t \\0-t\\\end{array} \right)\). If all of this is plugged into the scalar product, we get \(\displaystyle \left(B - \left( \begin{array}{ccc}4 \\8\\-3\\\end{array} \right)\right)\cdot \left( \begin{array}{ccc}4+t \\-1+t \\0-t\\\end{array} \right) = 0\), which can be rewritten as \(\displaystyle V_{1}W_{1} + V_{2}W_{2} + V_{3}W_{3} = 0\) or \(\displaystyle ((B_{1}-4)(4+t))+((B_{2}-8)(-1+t))+((B_{3}-(-3))(-t)) = 0\). Assuming that I've done everything above correctly, what I am struggling with is figuring out how to go about finding the B and t values so that the scalar product is equal to zero. Any hints as to a mistake or mistakes I may have made or what I should do next is very much appreciated and I thank you for taking the time to read through this whole question to lend some support.

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} B \left( b_1, b_2, b_3 \right) \end{align*}$ is a point on $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathbf{r} \left( t \right) \end{align*}$, so we can write $\displaystyle \begin{align*} b_1 = 4 + t , \, b_2 = -1 + t , \, b_3 = -t \end{align*}$. Thus the direction vector $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \vec{AB} = \left( 4 + t - 4 , -1 + t - 8 , -t - \left( - 3 \right) \right) = \left( t , -9 + t , 3 - t \right) \end{align*}$

Since we know $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \vec{AB} \end{align*}$ is perpendicular to $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathbf{r}\left( t \right) \end{align*}$, that means

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( 4 + t, -1 + t , -t \right) \cdot \left( t , -9 + t , 3 - t \right) &= 0 \\ t\left( 4 + t \right) + \left( -9 + t \right) \left( -1 + t \right) + \left( 3 - t \right) \left( -t \right) &= 0 \\ 4\,t + t^2 + 9 - 9\,t - t + t^2 - 3 + t + 3\,t - t^2 &= 0 \\ t^2 - t + 6 &= 0 \\ \left( t - 3 \right) \left( t + 2 \right) &= 0 \\ t = 3 \textrm{ or } t &= 2 \end{align*}$

If $\vec{AB}$ is perpendicular to the line $L_1$, we should have that $\vec{AB}$ is perpendicular to the direction vector $\begin{pmatrix}1\\1\\-1\end{pmatrix}$, shouldn't we? (Wondering)
That means that we should have:
$$\vec{AB} \cdot \begin{pmatrix}1\\1\\-1\end{pmatrix} = 0$$

1. What is the definition of a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction.

2. How do you find the missing point of a vector when it is perpendicular to a line?

To find the missing point of a vector that is perpendicular to a line, you can use the dot product of the perpendicular vector and the line's direction vector to solve for the missing point. Alternatively, you can also use the cross product of the perpendicular vector and the line's normal vector to find the missing point.

3. Can a vector be perpendicular to more than one line?

Yes, a vector can be perpendicular to multiple lines as long as those lines are not parallel to each other.

4. What is the difference between a perpendicular vector and a normal vector?

A perpendicular vector is a vector that forms a 90-degree angle with another vector or line, while a normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a surface or plane. In other words, a normal vector is a type of perpendicular vector, but not all perpendicular vectors are normal vectors.

5. How do you know if a vector is perpendicular to a line?

A vector is perpendicular to a line if their dot product is equal to 0, or if the angle between them is 90 degrees. Additionally, if the vector is parallel to the line's normal vector, then it is also perpendicular to the line.