1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the equation of a plane perpendicular to a line and goes through a point

1. Jan 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find equation of plane P that is perpendicular to line L which passes through the point (-2,-2,3)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    line L passes through the points (1,2,1) and (0,0,-3) I have worked out the parametric equations of line L to be
    x=1-t
    y=2-2t
    z=1-4t
    i know that if dot product of two vectors = 0 then they are perpendicular if that helps. im stuck on how to piece this question together.
    any help would be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Right, so you need a vector in the direction of the line.

4. Jan 9, 2017 #3
    i found a directional vector on the line it is <-1,-2,-4> so if i do dot product of that vector with <1,-1/2,0> (i just came up with in my head thinking what vector do i need to have that will give me dot product equal to 0) this will give me the dot product = 0.
    so can i conclude that the vector <1,-1/2,0> is on the plane?

5. Jan 9, 2017 #4
    even if so not sure how this is going to help me, exam
    even if that is true i dont know how that helps me

6. Jan 9, 2017 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

upload_2017-1-9_14-19-7.png
    if ##\vec r## is a position vector of the plane than the difference ##\vec r - \vec r_0 ## is a vector lying in the plane. It is perpendicular to L. Write it out in components.

7. Jan 9, 2017 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have to be careful to distinguish between a vector representing a direction of interest and a vector representing a point. If the plane does not pass through the origin then the vector for a point in the plane is not parallel to the plane. Vectors perpendicular to the given line will be parallel to the plane. See ehild's diagram.

8. Jan 9, 2017 #7
    Alternatively:

You know that the line L is perpendicular to the plane. Also, you found that <-1,-2,-4> is a vector in the same direction as the line. Wouldn't that imply that <-1,-2,-4> is normal to the plane? Knowing the general formula of a plane ##ax+by+cz=d## , what do the coefficients ##a, b, ##& ##c## have to do with the normal to the plane?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted