Find the equation of a plane perpendicular to a line and goes through a point

In summary, the problem is asking for the equation of a plane P that is perpendicular to a given line L and passes through a given point. To find the equation, we can use the dot product to determine a vector that is perpendicular to both the line and the plane. This vector can then be used to find the coefficients a, b, and c in the general formula of a plane.
cathal84

Homework Statement

find equation of plane P that is perpendicular to line L which passes through the point (-2,-2,3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]line L passes through the points (1,2,1) and (0,0,-3) I have worked out the parametric equations of line L to be
x=1-t
y=2-2t
z=1-4t
i know that if dot product of two vectors = 0 then they are perpendicular if that helps. I am stuck on how to piece this question together.
any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
cathal84 said:
if dot product of two vectors = 0 then they are perpendicular
Right, so you need a vector in the direction of the line.

Likes cathal84
haruspex said:
Right, so you need a vector in the direction of the line.
i found a directional vector on the line it is <-1,-2,-4> so if i do dot product of that vector with <1,-1/2,0> (i just came up with in my head thinking what vector do i need to have that will give me dot product equal to 0) this will give me the dot product = 0.
so can i conclude that the vector <1,-1/2,0> is on the plane?

cathal84 said:
i found a directional vector on the line it is <-1,-2,-4> so if i do dot product of that vector with <1,-1/2,0> (i just came up with in my head thinking what vector do i need to have that will give me dot product equal to 0) this will give me the dot product = 0.
even if so not sure how this is going to help me, exam
cathal84 said:
even if that is true i don't know how that helps me

upload_2017-1-9_14-19-7.png

if ##\vec r## is a position vector of the plane than the difference ##\vec r - \vec r_0 ## is a vector lying in the plane. It is perpendicular to L. Write it out in components.

cathal84 said:
You have to be careful to distinguish between a vector representing a direction of interest and a vector representing a point. If the plane does not pass through the origin then the vector for a point in the plane is not parallel to the plane. Vectors perpendicular to the given line will be parallel to the plane. See ehild's diagram.

Alternatively:

You know that the line L is perpendicular to the plane. Also, you found that <-1,-2,-4> is a vector in the same direction as the line. Wouldn't that imply that <-1,-2,-4> is normal to the plane? Knowing the general formula of a plane ##ax+by+cz=d## , what do the coefficients ##a, b, ##& ##c## have to do with the normal to the plane?

1. What is the equation of a plane perpendicular to a line?

A plane perpendicular to a line is a plane that intersects the line at a 90-degree angle, meaning that the line is perpendicular to all points on the plane. This type of plane can be represented by an equation of the form Ax + By + Cz = D, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables, respectively.

2. How do you find the equation of a plane perpendicular to a line?

To find the equation of a plane perpendicular to a line, you will need to know the direction vector of the line and a point that the plane passes through. Using this information, you can use the formula (x - x0)A + (y - y0)B + (z - z0)C = 0, where (x0, y0, z0) is the point and A, B, and C are the direction vector components, to find the equation of the plane.

3. Can a plane be perpendicular to more than one line?

Yes, a plane can be perpendicular to more than one line. In fact, a plane can be perpendicular to an infinite number of lines, as long as they all intersect the plane at a 90-degree angle.

4. What is the significance of finding the equation of a plane perpendicular to a line?

Finding the equation of a plane perpendicular to a line is important in many mathematical and scientific applications. For example, it can be used in 3D graphics to create realistic images, in physics to understand the motion of objects, and in engineering to design structures.

5. How does the point that the plane passes through affect the equation of the plane?

The point that the plane passes through affects the equation of the plane by determining where the plane is located in space. If the point is changed, the equation of the plane will also change, even if the direction vector remains the same. This is because the point affects the values of x, y, and z in the equation and therefore changes the plane's orientation and position.