Finding molecular formula from combustion of organic compound A

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 4K views
nineteen
Messages
68
Reaction score
12

Homework Statement



In an organic compound "A" only C,H and O is present. 1.22g of A is completely burned and it gives 0.84g of CO2 and 0.54g of H2O. If the relative molecular mass of "A" is 123. Find the molecular formula of A.
[/B]
I have showed my attempt at solving this problem, but I think it is wrong. Please help me out here. After what I have done last, there are only a few more steps to find the empirical formula and then the molecular formula itself, but I think what I have done is wrong. Please try and correct me, I'd appreciate it a lot.

2. Homework Equations

no. of moles = Mass/Molar mass
n of the molecular formula = Molar mass/ Formula mass of the empirical formula

(I guess that those are the only equations)​

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
Mass of C in CO2 produced: (12/44) x 0.84g = 0.22g
Mass of O in CO2 produced: (32/44) x 0.84g = 0.61g

Mass of H in H2O produced: (2/18) x 0.54g = 0.06g
Mass of O in H2O produced : (16/18) x 0.54g = 0.48g

Total masses;
C = 0.22g
O = 1.09g
H = 0.06g

Molar ratios of elements;

C ----> (0.22/12) = 0.01
H ----> (0.06/1) = 0.06
O ----> (1.09/16) = 0.06

Dividing all by the smallest value;

C ----> 0.01/0.01 = 1
H ----> 0.06/0.01 = 6
O ----> 0.06/0.01 = 6
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi 19,

nineteen said:
Molar ratios of elements
in what ? In A ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nineteen
BvU said:
Hi 19,

in what ? In A ?

Yes, the elements C,H and O...
By all means, I don't know whether this approach to the solution is correct or not.
 
It is not. Your elements add up to 1.38 g. There is only 1.22 g of A
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nineteen
BvU said:
It is not. Your elements add up to 1.38 g. There is only 1.22 g of A

Yeah that's what. Can you please help me find the solution to this?
 
Write the stoeciometric equation for the reaction ##C_xO_yH_z + ?? O_2 \rightarrow ?? CO_2 + ?? H_2O##
Three unknowns, so you need to find three equations.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nineteen
BvU said:
Write the stoeciometric equation for the reaction ##C_xO_yH_z + ?? O_2 \rightarrow ?? CO_2 + ?? H_2O##
Three unknowns, so you need to find three equations.

Isn't there any other method to solve this, except for the stoichiometry method?
 
You'll need it, I'm afraid. Express the ?? in terms of ##x, y ## and ##z##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nineteen
BvU said:
You'll need it, I'm afraid. Express the ?? in terms of ##x, y ## and ##z##
Thank you very much!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
The numbers here make no sense. Apart from anything else, an organic compound containing only C, H and O cannot have an odd RMM. Check that you've copied all the numbers correctly; if you have, I suspect a mistake in the question.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nineteen and BvU
mjc123 said:
The numbers here make no sense. Apart from anything else, an organic compound containing only C, H and O cannot have an odd RMM. Check that you've copied all the numbers correctly; if you have, I suspect a mistake in the question.

Ok friend, I'll look into it.