Thermochem, thermodynamics, diatomic gas at constant volume

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a diatomic perfect gas being heated from 25 °C to 200 °C at constant volume. The conversation focuses on finding the values of q, w, ΔU, and ΔH for the process, given the heat capacity value of 23.02 J K-1 mol-1. The experts help the student understand that they only need to know the heat capacity to solve the problem and guide them towards the correct equations and solutions. The student eventually figures out the correct solution and the conversation ends with gratitude towards the experts.
Diamond101

Homework Statement

A sample consisting of one mole of a diatomic perfect gas is heated from 25 °C to 200 °C at constant volume. Calculate q, w, ΔU and ΔH for the process, given that Cv = 23.02 J K-1 mol-1 .

Homework Equations

Im studying for mid terms and i have no lecture notes on diatomic gas looking online currently haven't found much. Please explain

The Attempt at a Solution

du=w-cvdt
cv=5/2nr

Physics news on Phys.org
Diamond101 said:

Homework Statement

A sample consisting of one mole of a diatomic perfect gas is heated from 25 °C to 200 °C at constant volume. Calculate q, w, ΔU and ΔH for the process, given that Cv = 23.02 J K-1 mol-1 .

Homework Equations

Im studying for mid terms and i have no lecture notes on diatomic gas looking online currently haven't found much. Please explain

The Attempt at a Solution

du=w-cvdt
cv=5/2nr
You don't need to know what a diatomic gas is to solve this problem. They give you the value of the heat capacity. That's all you need.

If the volume of gas is constant, how much work is done?

What is that Cv doing that equation that you wrote? The equation is incorrect. It should read ΔU=Q-W

Likes Diamond101
wont it be du=q+w
w=-pdv
du=q-pdv
du=qv at const volume .

Chestermiller said:
You don't need to know what a diatomic gas is to solve this problem. They give you the value of the heat capacity. That's all you need.

If the volume of gas is constant, how much work is done?

What is that Cv doing that equation that you wrote? The equation is incorrect. It should read ΔU=Q-W
how do i find work , work it -pdv right? i wasnt given pressure or is it understood as 1 bar and i wasnt given a volume

Diamond101 said:
how do i find work , work it -pdv right? i wasnt given pressure or is it understood as 1 bar and i wasnt given a volume
If the volume doesn't change, what is dv equal to?

Chestermiller said:
If the volume doesn't change, what is dv equal to?
0, and because w=pdv no work is done ? is this an isochoric process? would du=n cvdt

Diamond101 said:
0, and because w=pdv no work is done ? is this an isochoric process? would du=n cvdt
Very nice. Yes. isochoric is synonymous with constant volume. And your equation for the differential change in internal energy is correct.

Chet

Likes Diamond101
i figured it out i got 4.028 kj
w=0
du=q+w
du=Q
q+du are the same
dh=du +pdv
q=ncvdt

Chestermiller said:
Very nice. Yes. isochoric is synonymous with constant volume. And your equation for the differential change in internal energy is correct.

Chet
thank you ever so much

1. What is thermochemistry?

Thermochemistry is the study of the relationship between heat and chemical reactions. It involves measuring the amount of heat absorbed or released during a chemical reaction and how it affects the products and reactants.

2. Can you explain thermodynamics in simple terms?

Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the transfer of heat and energy between different forms, such as heat, work, and chemical potential energy. It also studies the relationship between these forms of energy and how they affect the physical properties of matter.

3. How does a diatomic gas behave at constant volume?

A diatomic gas at constant volume will follow the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure and temperature are directly proportional. This means that as the temperature increases, the pressure of the gas will also increase, and vice versa.

4. What is the significance of constant volume in thermodynamics?

Constant volume is an important concept in thermodynamics because it allows for the study of the specific heat capacity of a substance. This is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree at constant volume. It also helps in understanding the behavior of gases and their relationship with pressure and temperature.

5. How can thermochemistry be applied in everyday life?

Thermochemistry has many practical applications in everyday life. For example, it is used in cooking to understand the heat transfer and energy changes that occur during the cooking process. It is also used in industries to optimize processes and design efficient systems. Additionally, it is essential in understanding the energy consumption and efficiency of various devices, such as refrigerators and air conditioners.