Finding Moment of Inertia for Wagon Wheel

  • Thread starter Thread starter PascalPanther
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Rotational
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
PascalPanther
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
While working on your latest novel about settlers crossing the Great Plains in a wagon train, you get into an argument with your co-author regarding the moment of inertia of an actual wooden wagon wheel. The 70-kg wheel is 120-cm in diameter and has heavy spokes connecting the rim to the axle. Your co-author claims that you can approximate using I = MR2 (like for a hoop) but you anticipate I will be significantly less than that because of the mass located in the spokes. To find I experimentally, you mount the wheel on a low-friction bearing then wrap a light cord around the outside of the rim to which you attach a 20-kg bag of sand. When the bag is released from rest, it drops 3.77 m in 1.6 s.
Here is what I did initially:

v = 3.77m/1.6s
mgh = (1/2)mv^2 + (1/2)*I*omega^2
omega = v/R
(20kg)(9.8)(3.77m) = (1/2)(20kg)(2.36 m/s)^2 + (1/2)I((2.36)^2/(0.60)^2)
I = 88.3 ... which is more than I = MR^2 = 25.2 ...

So this is entirely wrong, because I know it should be less, since the mass is more evenly distributed.
Second approach, I believe the drops 3.77 m in 1.6 s is still due to gravity, is not constant velocity. There must also be tension then since it is less than gravitational acceleration.

mg - T = ma
y=(1/2)a*t^2
(3.77m) = (1/2)a(1.6)^2
a= 2.95 m/s^2

(20 kg)(9.8) - T = (20kg)(2.95)
T = 137N

torque = F*R
Only T does something in relation to the rotation of the axis? So:
torque = T*R = I * alpha
alpha = a/R = 2.95m/s^2 / 0.60m = 4.92 rad/s^2

137N * 0.60m = I * (4.92 rad/s^2)
I = 16.6 N s

Well I got the less inertia part now. But was that the right way to do it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Both ways should give you the same result. You made an error in your first calculation. A hint as to where that error is can be found in your second calculation (a = 2.95m/s²). How fast is the mass moving at the end of 1.6 seconds?