Moment of inertia of a wheel: linear to angular motion

In summary, the moment of inertia of a large wheel can be measured by hanging a block from a light rope attached to the wheel and measuring the time it takes for the block to descend. However, because gravity not only acts on the hanging mass but also accelerates the flywheel, the acceleration used in the kinematic equation must be adjusted accordingly. This can be observed experimentally with objects like a yoyo, which falls slower when unwinding compared to when it is just dropped.
archaeosite

Homework Statement

You are asked to measure the moment of inertia of a large wheel for rotation about an axis perpendicular to the wheel at its center. You measure the diameter of the wheel to be 0.600 m. Then you mount the wheel on frictionless bearings on a horizontal frictionless axle at the center of the wheel. You wrap a light rope around the wheel and hang an 8.20-kg block of wood from the free end of the rope. You release the system from rest and find that the block descends 12.0 m in 4.00 s.

Homework Equations

K1 + U1 = K2 + U2
K = 1/2*m*v2
K = 1/2*I*omega2
v2 = v02+2a(x-x0)
v = r*omega

The Attempt at a Solution

Variables:
d = 0.600 m
r = 0.300 m
m = 8.20 kg
v0 = 0 m/s
omega0 = 0 rad/s
change in x = 12.0 m
t = 4.00s

The initial kinetic energy is zero and the final gravitational PE is 0, so we use the equation U1 = K2, which is:

mgh = 1/2*m*v2 + 1/2*I*omega2
mgh - 1/2*m*v2 = 1/2*I*omega2
(mgh - 1/2*m*v2)/(1/2*omega2) = I

To solve, we need the linear velocity. I used a kinematic equation to calculate the velocity.

v2 = v02+2a(x-x0)
v2 = 0 + 2(9.81 m/s2)(12.0 m)
v2 = 235.44 m2/s2
v = 15.34 m/s

Then, v = r*omega
omega = v/r
omega = (15.34 m/s)/(0.300 m)
omega = 51.15 rad/s

Now back to the energy equation.

I = (mgh - 1/2*m*v2)/(1/2*omega2)

I = ((8.20kg)(9.81 m/s2)(12.0 m) - 1/2*(8.20 kg)*(15.34 m/s)2)/(1/2*(51.15 rad/s)2)

I = 5.35*10-6

But my homework site says this is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
... you have an unjustified assumption - the acceleration cannot be 1g.

Simon Bridge said:
... you have an unjustified assumption - the acceleration cannot be 1g.

But why not? There is no friction on the wheel from its bearing or mounting, and so the only external force acting on the block is gravity...?

archaeosite said:
o solve, we need the linear velocity. I used a kinematic equation to calculate the velocity.

v2 = v02+2a(x-x0)
v2 = 235.44 m2/s2
v = 15.34 m/s
check this equation ...the mass is hanging ut your equation is representing free fall!
v is related to w (omega) try to find the angular velocity ?

Ah, I see what you mean.

Now I've solved it. And as a courtesy to future answer-seekers, here's how.

Use the kinematic equation delta-x = 0.5(v0-v)t

12.0 m = 0.5*v*4.0 s
v = 6.00 m/s

then, omega = 20.0 rad/s

Plugged into the energy equation above, I = 4.09 kg*m2

Well done.
The explanation you are looking for is that gravity does not just act on the hanging mass alone - it also has to accelerate the flywheel (via the string).
It's just like when you pull a block across a table by attaching a hanging mass - you work it out by free body diagrams.

You were halfway there with the energy description:
You had already written that some of the change in PE gets stored as rotation in the flywheel and some as kinetic energy in the falling weight.
If the weight were in freefall, all of the change in PE would go for it's kinetic energy ... so, with the flywheel attached, it should be slower.

You can also check experimentally that a weight off a wheel falls slower than unattached - or that a yoyo falls slower when unwinding than it does if you just drop it.

Likes archaeosite
Simon Bridge said:
Well done.
The explanation you are looking for is that gravity does not just act on the hanging mass alone - it also has to accelerate the flywheel (via the string).
It's just like when you pull a block across a table by attaching a hanging mass - you work it out by free body diagrams.

You were halfway there with the energy description:
You had already written that some of the change in PE gets stored as rotation in the flywheel and some as kinetic energy in the falling weight.
If the weight were in freefall, all of the change in PE would go for it's kinetic energy ... so, with the flywheel attached, it should be slower.

You can also check experimentally that a weight off a wheel falls slower than unattached - or that a yoyo falls slower when unwinding than it does if you just drop it.
Thank you for the explanation. Your second paragraph especially helped!

Likes Simon Bridge

What is the moment of inertia of a wheel?

The moment of inertia of a wheel is a measure of its resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is a property that determines how difficult it is to start, stop, or change the speed of a wheel's rotation.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a wheel?

The moment of inertia of a wheel is affected by its mass, radius, and distribution of mass. A wheel with a larger mass or radius will have a higher moment of inertia. The distribution of mass also plays a role, with more mass located farther from the center of rotation resulting in a higher moment of inertia.

How is the moment of inertia of a wheel calculated?

The moment of inertia of a wheel can be calculated using the equation I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the wheel, and r is the radius of the wheel.

What is the relationship between linear and angular motion in a wheel?

In a wheel, linear and angular motion are related through the wheel's radius and angular velocity. As the wheel rotates, its linear speed increases as the radius increases. Similarly, an increase in angular velocity results in an increase in linear speed at the same radius.

How does the moment of inertia affect the motion of a wheel?

The moment of inertia affects the motion of a wheel by determining how much torque is required to change its rotational motion. A higher moment of inertia means more torque is needed to change the wheel's speed, while a lower moment of inertia means less torque is needed.