Finding multiple roots of polynomial using numerical methods

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for finding the roots of a polynomial, including the Durand-Kerner method and MATLAB's roots function. The Durand-Kerner method is a fixed-point iteration method that requires initial approximations of the roots within a specific range in order to converge. MATLAB's roots function uses the eigenvalues of a companion matrix to find the roots. Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages, but can be effective in finding the roots of a polynomial.
NotASmurf
Hey all, I seek to find where the derivative of a nth order polynomial is at a 0, so far I have used secant method to find it, which works, but issue is is that that returns only one root, sliding the interval could work, but then itd always point to the edge of the interval, any help appreciated. Base factoring won't work above 5th order poly's,

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Then you are asking for numerical approaches to find zeros of an (n-1)th order polynomial?
You will know that there are at most (n-1) real roots and exactly n-1 roots if complex roots are allowed.
How are you selecting your intervals? That seems to be the most important first step. A root should be in the interval for most methods to produce a reliable result.

RUber said:
Then you are asking for numerical approaches to find zeros of an (n-1)th order polynomial?
You will know that there are at most (n-1) real roots and exactly n-1 roots if complex roots are allowed.

yea, thing is, I don't want to use a method that finds just one root on an interval, I can in theory work with that in my program, but trying to see if a pre existing technique exists that can find n roots of a polynomial,

I cannot think of a method that finds multiple roots at once. There may be one out there, but most I have seen require some partitioning of the interval to subintervals in order to find a single root of each subinterval.

What about Durand Kerner method?

NotASmurf said:
What about Durand Kerner method?
From what I can tell from the description here, this method generates one root at a time.

That looks like an effective method...algebraic rather than graphical. Depending on the size of your polynomial, I am interested to hear how long it takes to converge.

Thing is, my polynomial cannot easily be rearranged, so m looking for a method that works with f(xn) and xi $$ x,i \in points $$, single root finding metods could still work, if i can find a way to eliminate the roots once I am done with them WITHOUT using deflation (cannot use deflation for my current problem).

How do you mean, "rearranged"? The Durand Kerner method outlined on Wikipedia seems to allow you to use any functional form you want for the polynomial. The most restrictive condition I see is that your initial values cannot be too close to each other.

Sorry ruled out Druand Kerner method in response to people seeming to think it would be slow and also due to it not being as amazing as i thought, is there any way to remove a root from a function without using deflation?

Tried out Durand Kerner, it works for some polynomials I've given it, but not others, so i tried changing my initial values (to the ones wikipedia said are good values) of p,q,r... but then it went for NaN (when the number explodes too big or divides by 0), even with the ones it worked on previously,

also tried others code out for spins, even the example referenced on wikipedia barely ever works, an other methods that spit out n roots like Durand Kerner is supposed to?

I misspoke earlier. From the Wikipedia article I linked to, it says that the method finds the roots simultaneously. Are you writing code for this?

A couple of the cautions are that,
1) The intial values are arbritrary, but can't be either real or roots of unity
2) You have to use complex arithmetic

I made code for that, and yes i used complex arithmatic. and yes i used non real roots of unity, the ones wikipedia suggested, still gives lots of trouble, doesn't converge to many polynomials i try,

NotASmurf said:
yes i used non real roots of unity
The article said to NOT use roots of unity.
There is nothing special about choosing 0.4 + 0.9 i except that it is neither a real number nor a root of unity.

sorry typo :P i used 0.4 +0.9i

Have you looked at MATLAB's roots function?

Likes jasonRF
nth order polynomial? Do you mean nth degree polynomial? Pn(x) at x = 0?

That is just the nth coefficient multiplied by a number. If a polynomial is written in the form incorporating binomial coefficients which is often useful

P(x) = a0 + na1a1x + [n(n-1)/2]a2x2 +... [n!/r!(n-r)!]arxr+... +anxn

is (n!/r!)ar or something similar isn't it? Maybe you meant something different.

The Durand-Kerner method works fine, but one mustn't forget that the method itself is just a special case of a fixed-point iteration, and as such, will only converge under the conditions specified in fixed-point iteration.
As mentioned in the wikipedia article on the Durand-Kerner method, the method requires initial approximations of the roots to begin. Each approximation must lie within a range of the root such that it satisfies a Lipschitz inequality within that range, with a Lipschitz constant q < 1. Otherwise, it is possible for the method to diverge.
From a programmer's perspective, the method, if coded properly, converges fast. Typically takes 100msec or so on a Core 2 Duo to find the roots of a 5th-order polynomial (personal experience).

mfig said:
Have you looked at MATLAB's roots function?
I like Matlab's version too. It uses the fact that the eigenvalues of the companion matrix (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Companion_matrix) are the roots of the polynomial. So if NotASmurf already has code to find eigenvalues then they are set - the eigenvalue calculator does all of the heavy lifting.

Jason

EDIT: Oops - I failed to look and see that this is a very, very stale thread!

1. How do numerical methods help in finding multiple roots of a polynomial?

Numerical methods use algorithms and mathematical techniques to approximate the roots of a polynomial. These methods are especially useful for finding multiple roots, which can be difficult to determine analytically.

2. What is the most commonly used numerical method for finding multiple roots of a polynomial?

The most commonly used method is the Newton-Raphson method, which uses an iterative process to find the roots of a polynomial.

3. Can numerical methods accurately find all the roots of a polynomial?

No, numerical methods can only approximate the roots of a polynomial. The accuracy of the results depends on the chosen method and the initial values used.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using numerical methods for finding multiple roots of a polynomial?

One drawback is that the method may fail to converge if the initial values are not chosen carefully. Also, some methods may not work for certain types of polynomials.

5. How can one determine the number of roots a polynomial has using numerical methods?

By plotting the polynomial's graph, one can get an estimate of the number of roots. Additionally, the degree of the polynomial also gives an indication of the maximum number of roots it can have.