Finding north and south poles of an electromagnet

  • Thread starter Thread starter Teachme
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electromagnet
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Teachme
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
So I have a question about an electromagnet. I understand the right hand rule, and how the magnetic field wraps around the wire, but I don't understand the location of the north and south poles. How do you determine where the north and south poles are since the magnetic field is a circle around the wire? Thanks
 
Attachments
  • 550px-Electromagnetism.svg.png
    550px-Electromagnetism.svg.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
Teachme said:
So I have a question about an electromagnet. I understand the right hand rule, and how the magnetic field wraps around the wire, but I don't understand the location of the north and south poles. How do you determine where the north and south poles are since the magnetic field is a circle around the wire? Thanks
Since the wire has to form a continuous loop you are only looking at only part of the magnetic field. The entire loop of wire will have a magnetic dipole moment that depends on the geometry of the loop. Not every magnetic field will resemble the field of a bar magnet, but every magnetic field will have a dipole moment. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_moment

AM