1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Finding number of solutions for a system of equations?

1. Aug 12, 2016 #1
    Is there any general theorem on finding number of solutions to this system of equations

(D e^(-k (a - t)) (1 - e^-kt) (1 - e^(-a k n)))/((1 - e^(-a k)) k t v) = S

(G e^(-k (a - t)) (1 - e^-kt) (1 - e^(-a k n)))/((1 - e^(-a k)) k t v) = T

where k,v are variables and others are constant

*edited equations

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The two equations look identical. If S=T that is fine, just a bit redundant. It is easy to solve for v(k) then, which has a unique solution everywhere apart from k=0 where the equation cannot be satisfied.

4. Aug 12, 2016 #3
    thanks for the fast reply. The problem was actually Mathematica cannot solve these system of equations (picture attached) so I used Excel Solver to find k,v satisfying those two equations. I just wonder that the k,v that I got are the only real number solutions to this system.

Attached Files:

5. Aug 12, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is no solution. Your equations are "250 * something = 50 && 375 * something = 80", which quickly leads to a contradiction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted