Finding Order of A in GL2(2) of \mathbb{Z}_2

  • Thread starter Thread starter roam
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
roam
Messages
1,265
Reaction score
12

Homework Statement



The following matrix is an elements of the group GL2(2), that is, the general linear group of 2x2 matrices in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/tex]:

[tex]A = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Find the order of the element A.

The Attempt at a Solution



I know that the order of A is 3. Because A3=I, where "I" is the identity. I found this by trial and error:

[tex]A^1 = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{pmatrix}^1 \neq \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\0 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]A^2 = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{pmatrix} \neq \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\0 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]A^3 = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\0 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex].

Here is my question, is there a shorthand method for finding "n" in:

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 \\1 & 0\end{pmatrix}^n = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\0 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Is there any way of solving for n without going through all the suffering matrix multipications above?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, your calculation isn't even right. A^3 isn't equal to I. In fact, A^n is never equal to I.
 
Dick said:
Well, your calculation isn't even right. A^3 isn't equal to I. In fact, A^n is never equal to I.

We are working in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/tex]!

[tex]A^3= \begin{pmatrix}3 & 2 \\2 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Which is equal to

[tex]I=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\0 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/tex]. So, the only way to solve this kind of problem is by trial and error?
 
roam said:
We are working in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/tex]!

[tex]A^3= \begin{pmatrix}3 & 2 \\2 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Which is equal to

[tex]I=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\0 & 1\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

in [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/tex]. So, the only way to solve this kind of problem is by trial and error?

Ooops. Missed the Z_2. No, I don't know of any systematic way. Some times it can help to cleverly write the matrix as a sum of others or look for a pattern is small powers. But A^3 is already a small power.