Finding out about string theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of string theory and the desire to find someone with expertise in M-theory to explain it. The suggestion is made to research 10-D string theories and references are provided as starting points. It is also mentioned that a good understanding of quantum field theory and general relativity is necessary as prerequisites for studying string theory.
Elliot.exe
Hello, I am interested in finding out about string theory. I have done reasearch on the internet but that is the basics. I am hoping that I can find someone who works in the field or has a good grasp of M-theory to explain it to me.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

You should begin by researching the 10-D string theories first. There are several good book/references out there in case you are interested.

For warm up, you can start with
B. Greene, The Elegant Universe
After that, you should study
B. Zwiebach, A First Course in String Theory
When you finish these, then you are ready for the serious stuff.

Also, as pre-requisites you should have a good understanding of quantum field theory and general relativity.

What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to unify the four fundamental forces of nature (gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force) into one single theory. It proposes that particles are not point-like objects, but rather tiny, vibrating strings.

How did string theory come about?

String theory was first proposed in the late 1960s as a possible solution to the problem of reconciling general relativity and quantum mechanics. However, it wasn't until the 1980s that the theory gained more attention and development, thanks to the work of physicists John Schwarz, Michael Green, and Edward Witten.

What is the significance of string theory?

If proven to be correct, string theory would provide a unified explanation for all the fundamental forces of nature. It could also potentially lead to a better understanding of the nature of space, time, and the universe itself. Additionally, string theory has connections to other areas of physics, such as black holes and cosmology.

What evidence is there for string theory?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for string theory, as the energies required to test it experimentally are far beyond our current technological capabilities. However, there are some indirect pieces of evidence, such as the consistency of the theory with existing laws of physics and its ability to make predictions about phenomena that have been observed in experiments.

What are the criticisms of string theory?

One of the main criticisms of string theory is that it is currently a purely mathematical construct and lacks empirical evidence. Additionally, some argue that it is too complex and has yet to make any testable predictions. There are also other alternative theories, such as loop quantum gravity, that propose different solutions to the problem of unifying the fundamental forces.