Finding Particle Velocities in Center of Mass Calculation

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Littlepig
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Littlepig
Messages
97
Reaction score
0
hi there.

I'm having some problems with Center Mass calculations... I have a CM moving at x-axis with Vx, and it as a mass of M.

Now, assume CM is made of n particles, but i only know their masses(all equal m), not their speed. My problem is how do i find their velocities? By Energy and momentum conservation,

[tex]MV=m\sum^{n}_{i=1}v_{i}[/tex]
and
[tex]MV^{2}=m\sum^{n}_{i=1}v^{2}_{i}[/tex]
substituting V in second; as M=m*n(Mass of mass center is the sum of the masses of all particles) and simplifying
[tex](\sum^{n}_{i=1}V_{i})^2/n=\sum^{n}_{i=1}v^{2}_{i}[/tex]

And I'm stuck here. Even if i begin to assume something, like a random velocity of one particle, i can't get a algorithm that have physical meaning for solving this equation in order to [tex]v_{i}[/tex] for every i

Can any1 tell me if there's a solution, or at least a clue about it?

Thanks in advance,
Littlepig
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Littlepig said:
I'm having some problems with Center Mass calculations... I have a CM moving at x-axis with Vx, and it as a mass of M.
You mean: You have a system with total mass M whose CM has a velocity = Vx.

Now, assume CM is made of n particles, but i only know their masses(all equal m), not their speed. My problem is how do i find their velocities?
Not enough information.
By Energy and momentum conservation,

[tex]MV=m\sum^{n}_{i=1}v_{i}[/tex]
This is correct (by definition of CM).
and
[tex]MV^{2}=m\sum^{n}_{i=1}v^{2}_{i}[/tex]
This is not correct.

Simple example: Imagine a gas of particles in a jar. Total momentum = 0, velocity of CM = 0, yet total KE of the particles does not equal zero.
 
Yeah, you are right..xD i must then reformulate my problem...xD

Tk U very much