1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of Mass Calculation: x-bar, y-bar

1. Nov 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find the center of mass of the given figure attached. I am given the density (7850 kg/m^3) and a thickness of 0.3 cm (not sure where this goes)

2. Relevant equations

Just some things I need to verify:

When finding the x-bar of the function y=x3 using the equation:

[itex] \bar{x} [/itex]= [itex]\frac{∫ \tilde{x} dm}{∫dm}[/itex],

Is my [itex] \bar{x} [/itex] going to be the x distance(which will just be "x") times x3dm?

Also, will x3 be in the denominator just before "dm"?

If I am also given a density ρ, will that stay in front of each integrand or in front of ([itex]\frac{∫ \tilde{x} dm}{∫dm}[/itex])? And would I calculate the thickness with the [itex]\bar{z}[/itex]?

Is the same process is done for the [itex]\tilde{y}[/itex] or are there differences?

I know this may be a lot but I'd like to make sure of the method.
    Thanks!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

dm as the amount of mass in a volume element at point (x,y) with width dx, height dy, and thickness t ... that would be ##dm = \rho(x,y) dV = \rho tdxdy##
    ...that help clarify things?

Of course you can simplify the calculation a lot by understanding it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  4. Nov 10, 2012 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suggest paying very little attention to the (uniform) density and not too much time on the (uniform) thickness ...

5. Nov 10, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, me too ... though it comes out in the wash :) It's part of the "you can simplify the calculation a lot by understanding it" thing.

It is also easier to do the integration against y instead of x and part of the integration can be done just by knowing the formula for the area of a triangle - but I don't know how much aaronfue understands vs memorizes equations. Do need to hear from him before we can continue methinks.

6. Nov 11, 2012 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Big 10-4, Simon. Not having my textbook at the ready right now, I would approach the problem as finding the axis of zero net torque under gravity and arbitrary orientation, in which case integration of a differential wedge dθ might make sense. As an EE I'll probably pass on doing the actual work, so talk's cheap! :biggrin:

7. Nov 11, 2012 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Who needs text books when you have google ;)

8. Nov 11, 2012 #7

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

True, true. So chalk it up to indolence on my part ... :blushing:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook