Center of Mass Calculation: x-bar, y-bar

In summary, I suggest paying very little attention to the (uniform) density and not too much time on the (uniform) thickness. I suggest integrating the differential wedge against y instead of x and part of the integration can be done just by knowing the formula for the area of a triangle.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

I need to find the center of mass of the given figure attached. I am given the density (7850 kg/m^3) and a thickness of 0.3 cm (not sure where this goes)

Homework Equations

Just some things I need to verify:

When finding the x-bar of the function y=x3 using the equation:

[itex] \bar{x} [/itex]= [itex]\frac{∫ \tilde{x} dm}{∫dm}[/itex],

Is my [itex] \bar{x} [/itex] going to be the x distance(which will just be "x") times x3dm?

Also, will x3 be in the denominator just before "dm"?

If I am also given a density ρ, will that stay in front of each integrand or in front of ([itex]\frac{∫ \tilde{x} dm}{∫dm}[/itex])? And would I calculate the thickness with the [itex]\bar{z}[/itex]?

Is the same process is done for the [itex]\tilde{y}[/itex] or are there differences?

I know this may be a lot but I'd like to make sure of the method.
Thanks!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• xid-5701632_2.jpg
    xid-5701632_2.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 948
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dm as the amount of mass in a volume element at point (x,y) with width dx, height dy, and thickness t ... that would be ##dm = \rho(x,y) dV = \rho tdxdy##
...that help clarify things?

Of course you can simplify the calculation a lot by understanding it.

Last edited:
aaronfue said:

Homework Statement

I need to find the center of mass of the given figure attached. I am given the density (7850 kg/m^3) and a thickness of 0.3 cm (not sure where this goes)

/b]

I suggest paying very little attention to the (uniform) density and not too much time on the (uniform) thickness ...

rude man said:
I suggest paying very little attention to the (uniform) density and not too much time on the (uniform) thickness ...
Well, me too ... though it comes out in the wash :) It's part of the "you can simplify the calculation a lot by understanding it" thing.

It is also easier to do the integration against y instead of x and part of the integration can be done just by knowing the formula for the area of a triangle - but I don't know how much aaronfue understands vs memorizes equations. Do need to hear from him before we can continue methinks.

Simon Bridge said:
Well, me too ... though it comes out in the wash :) It's part of the "you can simplify the calculation a lot by understanding it" thing.

It is also easier to do the integration against y instead of x and part of the integration can be done just by knowing the formula for the area of a triangle - but I don't know how much aaronfue understands vs memorizes equations. Do need to hear from him before we can continue methinks.

Big 10-4, Simon. Not having my textbook at the ready right now, I would approach the problem as finding the axis of zero net torque under gravity and arbitrary orientation, in which case integration of a differential wedge dθ might make sense. As an EE I'll probably pass on doing the actual work, so talk's cheap! :biggrin:

Who needs textbooks when you have google ;)

Simon Bridge said:
Who needs textbooks when you have google ;)

True, true. So chalk it up to indolence on my part ... :blushing:

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass refers to the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed, meaning that the object would balance perfectly at this point if suspended.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the weighted average of the x and y coordinates of all the individual particles that make up the object. This is represented by the equations x-bar and y-bar, which represent the center of mass along the horizontal and vertical axes, respectively.

3. What is the significance of calculating the center of mass?

Calculating the center of mass is important in understanding the stability and balance of an object. It can also be used in various physics and engineering applications, such as determining the trajectory of a projectile or designing structures that can support their own weight.

4. Can the center of mass be located outside of the physical object?

Yes, the center of mass can be located outside of the physical object. This is possible if the object has an irregular shape or if there are empty spaces within the object's structure. In such cases, the center of mass may be located at a point in empty space.

5. How does the distribution of mass affect the location of the center of mass?

The location of the center of mass is directly affected by the distribution of mass within an object. Objects with a more spread out mass will have a center of mass that is further away from the center, while objects with a more concentrated mass will have a center of mass closer to the center. In a symmetrical object, the center of mass will be located at the geometric center.