Finding the PDF of Z = X₁ + X₂ + X₁X₂ for independent exponential variables

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Exponential Pdf
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
EngWiPy
Messages
1,361
Reaction score
61
Hello,

Suppose that:

[tex]Z=X_1+X_2+X_1X_2[/tex]

where [tex]X_i[/tex] for i=1 and 2 are independent and identically distribuited exponential RVs.

can we find the PDF of Z?

Regards
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You should note that the event {Z = z} is equivalent to {X1 + X2 + X1 X2 = z} or {X1 = (z - X2)/(1 + X2)}. You can use this and use convolutions (example).
 
EnumaElish said:
You should note that the event {Z = z} is equivalent to {X1 + X2 + X1 X2 = z} or {X1 = (z - X2)/(1 + X2)}. You can use this and use convolutions (example).

Right, But I want to find the PDF directly, not from differentiating the CDF, if possible. Because these RVs are, actually, not exponentials, but I said so to simplify the problem statement. So I want to avoid the derivative operation, which complicates the whole stituation.

I say the following:

let [tex]W=X_1+X_2[/tex] and [tex]Y=X_1X_2[/tex], then [tex]Z=W+Y[/tex]. But we need to evaluate joint PDF of W and Y. Is this approach in the right way?
 
Last edited:
saeddawoud said:
Hello,

Suppose that:

[tex]Z=X_1+X_2+X_1X_2[/tex]

where [tex]X_i[/tex] for i=1 and 2 are independent and identically distribuited exponential RVs.

can we find the PDF of Z?

Regards

You may want to check the f distribution. The PDF is a bit complicated and I don't have Latex, but you can look it up.
 
Last edited:
EnumaElish said:
You can derive the pdf directly through convolution.

If we assume that [tex]Y=W+Z[/tex] where [tex]W=X_1X_2[/tex] and [tex]Z=X_1+X_2[/tex], then we need to find the joint PDF [tex]f_{W,Z}(w,z)[/tex], which can be found using Jacobian transformation.

If we proceed using this, we have:

[tex]X_1=T_1^{-1}=\frac{W+Z-X_2}{1+X_2}[/tex] and [tex]X_2=T_2^{-1}=\frac{W+Z-X_1}{1+X_1}[/tex]

Then

[tex]F_{W,Z}(w,z)=f_{X_1,X_2}(x_1=T_1^{-1},x_2=T_2^{-1})|J|[/tex]

where [tex]|J|[/tex] is the magnitude of the Jacobian which will be zero in this case!

Is here anything wrong I did?

Regards
 
You can write X1 as (z - X2)/(1 + X2). Then study the wiki example with normal distribution. How is that example similar to your problem?