1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Perimeter/Circumference of part of a circle

1. Apr 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The inner radius is measured from a point A and is 2.9 m. The outer radius is measured from the same point A and is 6.5 m. The angle at A is 110*. What is the Perimeter of the shaded area in meters? What is the area of the shaded are in square meters?

2. Relevant equations
    C=2rpi

3. The attempt at a solution
    Just for part A I tried to find the total circumference as if the circle was a full 360* and then multiplied the resulting answer by the ratio of 110*/360*. The answer was incorrect. The answers are suppose to be 25.3 m and 32.5 m^2

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

From your description, it seems that you need to find the perimeter and area of a section of a ring or annulus.

The circumference of a circle is C = r * 2pi. The arc length along the portion of a circle subtended by an arc whose measure is theta (in radians) is r * theta.

The area of an annulus is pi(R^2 - r^2), where R and r represent the outer and inner radii respectively.

4. Apr 19, 2010 #3
    We know the area of a circle as:
    [PLAIN]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4645835/MATH/Area%20of%20Circle.gif [Broken]

Part B:
    We want to find the area of the shaded portion. So, we find the area of the outside circle and subtract from it the area of the inside circle.

[PLAIN]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4645835/MATH/Worked.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Apr 19, 2010 #4

Mark44

Well, I don't know what the drawing looks like, so I don't know exactly what the problem is. How does the angle of 110 degrees enter into the problem?

6. Apr 20, 2010 #5
    I imagine it as a larger circle around a smaller circle. The shaded region they are referring to would be the area enclosed by the two circles. The given angle...according to my interpretation...is between the 0 degree line and the radii extending from point A.

7. Apr 20, 2010 #6

Mark44

The problem doesn't include a picture?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook