1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding pH given molarity and volume

1. May 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If 50ml of 0.004M H2CrO4 was combined with 50 ml of 0.005M HNO3 what is the pH of the resulting solution?

2. Relevant equations
    Moles H3O=Moles OH ?
    Formula for KA

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, here's what I have so far.

I made the H2CrO4 represent the acid, and the HNO3 represent the base. I then subtracted them to get the excess, and then found the molarity of that. But I have no idea if I chose the right things to represent acids and bases, in fact I have no idea if I'm doing the right thing. Somebody please help!

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Both of these are acids, there is no base here.

Also, do these substances dissociate completely, or must Ka be taken into account?

p.s. Welcome to Physics Forums :smile:

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  4. May 10, 2009 #3
    I believe HNO3 is a strong acid- you can assume that dissociates completely. However, the other acid is NOT a strong acid--you will need Ka for that.

BUT. I'm assuming since the Ka is very small, adding the H+ ions from that species will not change the # of H+ you get from HNO3 because of sig figs.

Therefore, .05L x .005M H+ (from the complete dissociation of HNO3) = 0.00025mol H+

next, find the molarity. 100ml total = .1L
    .0025 Molar H+
    -log .0025 = 2.6 = pH

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  5. May 10, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No.

No.

No.

6. May 10, 2009 #5
    so sad... haha

7. May 10, 2009 #6
    Hell of a thread here.

8. May 10, 2009 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look up Ka for H2CrO4, and set up the equilibrium equation. That is the key here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook