Finding Points of Intersection by Substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses finding points of intersection between two graphs using the method of substitution. It involves solving one equation for a variable and substituting it into the other equation, then simplifying and solving for the remaining variable. The conversation also mentions using the rational roots test to find the roots of a polynomial equation.
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

Find any points of intersection of the graphs by the method of substitution.

[tex]xy+x-2y+3=0[/tex]
[tex]x^2+4y^2-9=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From the second equation I can solve for y:

[tex]y=\frac{\sqrt{9-x^2}}{2}[/tex]

Plug it into the first equation and simplify...

[tex]\frac{x\sqrt{9-x^2}+2x-2\sqrt{9-x^2}+6}{2}=0[/tex]

Multiply both sides by 2 to get rid of the fraction and get the radicals over to one side, square both sides

[tex](x\sqrt{9-x^2}-2\sqrt{9-x^2})^2=(-2x-6)^2[/tex]

simplify and you get

[tex]-x(x^3-4x^2-x+60)=0[/tex]

I can find x=0 and that Is correct, but the other real root should be -3. I can graph the polynomial (x3-4x2-x+60) on my calculator and see that it has a root of -3 but how can I do it by hand? Any other way besides the rational roots test?

Physics news on Phys.org
themadhatter1 said:

Homework Statement

[tex]xy+x-2y+3=0[/tex]
[tex]x^2+4y^2-9=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

That should be [itex]\pm[/itex].

Also, it might be simpler to solve for one variable, say y, in the first equation.
themadhatter1 said:

Multiply both sides by 2 to get rid of the fraction and get the radicals over to one side, square both sides

simplify and you get

I can find x=0 and that Is correct, but the other real root should be -3. I can graph the polynomial (x3-4x2-x+60) on my calculator and see that it has a root of -3 but how can I do it by hand? Any other way besides the rational roots test?

themadhatter1 said:

Homework Statement

[tex]xy+x-2y+3=0[/tex]

x(y+1)- 2y+ 3= 0

x(y+1)= 2y- 3

Solve that for x and avoid square roots.

[tex]x^2+4y^2-9=0[/tex]

Homework Equations

simplify and you get

HallsofIvy said:
x(y+1)- 2y+ 3= 0

x(y+1)= 2y- 3

Solve that for x and avoid square roots.

Ok, so.

[tex]x=\frac{2y-3}{y+1}[/tex]

You can sub that into the other equation and get

[tex]y(4y^3-8y^2-y+6)=0[/tex] Using rational roots test you can find that the root of (4y^3-8y^2-y+6) is 3/2 and of course y= 0 as well.

[tex]\frac{\pm1,2,3,6}{1,2,4}[/tex]

Is this what you had in mind? It is easier than having to do the test with all the factors of 60...

Yes, that's what both HallsOfIvy and I had in mind.

themadhatter1 said:
You can sub that into the other equation and get

[tex]y(4y^3-8y^2-y+6)=0[/tex]
I'm getting -30 inside the parentheses instead of +6. And a plus 8y2 instead of a minus.69

1. How do I find points of intersection by substitution?

In order to find points of intersection by substitution, you must first set up two equations that represent two intersecting lines. Then, solve for one variable in terms of the other in one of the equations. Substitute this expression into the other equation and solve for the remaining variable. The resulting values will be the coordinates of the point of intersection.

2. What is the purpose of using substitution to find points of intersection?

Using substitution allows you to find the exact coordinates of the point of intersection without having to graph the lines. It also works for any type of equation, including linear, quadratic, and exponential equations.

3. How do I know if the lines represented by the equations have a point of intersection?

If the equations have different slopes, they will intersect at one point. If the equations have the same slope, they will either be parallel or the same line. In these cases, there will either be no points of intersection or infinitely many points of intersection.

4. Can I use substitution to find points of intersection for more than two equations?

Yes, the same process can be applied to find points of intersection for any number of equations. However, it may become more complex and time-consuming as the number of equations increases.

5. Are there any other methods for finding points of intersection?

Yes, another method is by graphing the equations and visually identifying the point of intersection. You can also use the elimination method, where you eliminate one variable by adding or subtracting the equations and then solving for the remaining variable.