Finding Points on the Unit Circle

In summary, the conversation discusses the implementation of a Symbolic Algebra system that aims to display the exact symbolic values of trigonometric functions for any given angle in radians. The problem lies in obtaining the ratios from points on the unit circle without using any trigonometric functions. Suggestions are made to use calculus or Taylor series expansions, but the main issue is finding the coordinates of a point on the unit circle without using trigonometric functions. The conversation also mentions the use of Fermat primes and the equation for arc-length on a circle. The ultimate goal is to find a method to define Sin(a) and Cos(a) through an independent process, allowing for exact symbolic analysis of any angle in radians.
JungleJesus
I am currently working on an implementation of a Symbolic Algebra system similar to existing products. In this system, I would like to be able to display the exact symbolic values of trigonometric functions for any given angle in radians.

ex: sin(PI/6) = "1/2"

My problem stems from obtaining the ratios from points on the unit circle, x**2 + y**2 = 1

I need to be able to calculate the point P(x,y) from the angle (a) on the unit circle without using any trigonometric functions because I will use those points to define the functions.

Some of the people I have asked suggested using calculus to find the coordinates. However, I don't know much about calculus or advanced trig.

Would Pythagorean's theory help in any way? Would it be more beneficial to use Calculus?

Anything to point me in the right direction would help greatly.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you really want to express the trig function of any arbitrary angle (e.g. 1.23785763 radians) as a symbolic answer (e.g. root(xxx)/yyy)?

Also, are you saying you want to find the x,y coordinates of the point on the circle corresponding to the above arbitrary angle, without using any trig functions like sin or cos?

If so, seems the first is impossible unless you are dealing with only fixed increments of angle. Also, I think trigonomentric functions and circle geometry are inextricably connected.

Maybe you need to provide more explanation as to what you are trying to do.

You can do away with the whole unit circle business. Use Taylor series expansions for sin(A) and cos(A). It's an infinite series polynomial expansion, so you can choose how many terms you want to calculate and get accurate output to an arbitrary level of precision.

See the following:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_functions#Series_definitions"

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I wasn't entirely clear. I don't want to find an approximation; I want the functions to output the Symbolic values of the functions. Trust me on this one, I'm looking for the kind of anwer you'd write on a trig test

ex: sin(PI/4) = "[tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]/2"

In order to accomplish this, I've been trying to use x2 + y2 = 1, but have not been able to determine the point (x,y) based on the inputted angle.

I thought of using the derivative with respect to x and solving for the angle. In doing so, I could manipulate the algebra to produce the x and y values which define the trig functions. However, I don't know how to connect the angle of the radius to the circle without using trig.

It's only possible to give an exact value of [itex] \sin{\frac{\pi}{n}} [/itex] if n is the product of a power of two, (0 or 1 powers) of 3, and an number of distinct fermat primes.

A fermat prime is a prime of the form 2^(2^k)+1

The only ones known are 5, 17,257,65537. Other values of n do not have an exact solutions. If n has a factor of 17,257 or 65537 the expressions will be EXTREMELY long.

For any circle, given an angle (a) in radians, the arc-length (s) is related to (a) and the radius (r) by:
s = r*a

On the unit circle, r = 1, so
s = a

If I were to start at the point P(1, 0) and travel on an arc with a radius of 1 a distance of (s) counter-clockwise, how could I find the endpoint of the arc E(x,y) by using the circle equation x2 + y2 = 1 and the arc-length (s) without using the trig functions.

I can't use the trig functions to find the point because I will use the point to define Sin(a) and Cos(a). I must find the point through an independent process to define Cos and Sin.
In doing so, any angle converted into radians could be symbolically analyzed, rather than approximated.

1. What is the unit circle and why is it useful?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1, centered at the origin (0,0) in a Cartesian coordinate system. It is useful in mathematics and science because it helps visualize and understand relationships between angles, trigonometric functions, and coordinates on a plane.

2. How do you find points on the unit circle?

To find points on the unit circle, we use the coordinates (x,y) of the point, where x and y represent the cosine and sine of the angle, respectively. For example, the point (0.5, 0.5) would be located at an angle of π/4 (45 degrees) on the unit circle, with coordinates cos(π/4) = 0.5 and sin(π/4) = 0.5.

3. What are the primary trigonometric functions used to find points on the unit circle?

The primary trigonometric functions used to find points on the unit circle are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions represent the ratios of the sides of a right triangle formed on the unit circle.

4. How do you use the Pythagorean theorem to find points on the unit circle?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. In the case of the unit circle, this means that the values of sine and cosine squared must add up to 1, allowing us to find missing coordinates on the unit circle.

5. How can the unit circle be used to solve real-world problems?

The unit circle can be used to solve real-world problems involving angles and distances. For example, it can be used in navigation to determine the direction and distance between two points, or in physics to calculate the force and direction of an object in motion. It is also used extensively in engineering and construction to calculate angles and dimensions of structures.